Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KJC

Time of Day for Loopers/Steelhead?

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I appreciate all the general advice that I am finding on fishing for loopers and/or stealhead. I and a buddy are contemplating coming up to the north shore for a day trip to try our hand at the loopers and/or steelhead as they begin to run. I do have a couple of specific questions that I'm hoping to get some answers to.

1) In planning for the trip, I am wondering if the bite typically follows the clock? For example is early morning or late afternoon better, or is the time of day not the most important factor.

2) When the fish start to run is it better to be on the stream or at the mouth of the stream on the lake?

3) If flyfishing, is it better to be on the stream or at the mouth?

Thanks for any advice to help this novice make the most of his short trip.

Karl

I dont stream fish or fly fish so Ill just tel ya how I have done with loopers. I have always had my best luck at 1st light or shortly after. Second would be the last hour of light. Of course wind plays a big part in this and if you get a nice chop you can catch them all day. When casting spoons for loopers you will get a few lakers and steelies in with them.

Time of year seems to be more of a factor with early spring being the best for me. Probably becauise Im chasing walleyes as soon as opener comes. Also deer season can be good fishing for loopers.

Oh and I always fish stream mouths or close to them. Unless its just a nice warm day and other spots are packed then I find a nice spot on the shore and try my luck away from the crowds.

I can tell you this the fish really get going when the river's warm up to 40 to 45 Degrease. The fish will bite all day long using mono, and yarn and sinkers to make sure you can feel the bottom on your drift. The river mouth is always a good place to drown a crawler or spawn or a looper bug under a bobber. I like to fish them in the river so I can cover more water and find more fish holding in different spots on the river and the view is always changing. If you email me your number I can call you when it gets going and where to fish and what you will need to catch the fish here email me at Tpfister@mac.com