• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing Ethics

Walli1

Where do you draw the line when it comes to fishing early spring eyes? Even though the miss is open from hastings dam down, is it okay to keep the eyes being there ready to spawn in a month or so? where the miss and croix merge a person can fish up to the train bridge, is that okay? or is fishing for eyes unethical at this time? I know fishing the miss around the 494 area is ready good for eyes in the spring, I enjoy doing it but thats a catch and release area. The reason I bring this up is a guy I know has been taken home several limits in the last week below the hastings dam area and down should I let this bother me? I have mixed feeling about this, sure would like to hear what others think!

Why would a single person need to keep several limits from any body of water at any time of year. If you have an average family and you eat fish once a week 6 - 18 inch fish would be enough for 2 meals. I think we should all be concerned about the number and size of fish being kept from both rivers these days. During the spawning season, there is no reason to keep fish at all. If you have to keep a few for a fish fry, fine. Just be smart about it. IT drives me crazy to see people keeping so many.

I don't mind keeping a couple fish to eat now and then and enjoy the suager and eyes from the cold water. 2 fish is good for my family and lots of taters to round things out. I have a hard time with keeping fish that are in the prime of spawning and therefore I keep most of my forays to catch and release at this time of year. Double tripping and fishing each day to catch a limit and keep them isn't good in my book but it happens. If there is a problem with keeping more then a possesion limit then I would say give the tip line a call. I'd like to see the DNR put a two fish limit and slot on the open areas kind of like the rainy river this time of year. Maybe that would slow down the fish mongering, maybe not, but hopefully, it would help to protect the fishery. My .02.

Tunrevir~

It should bother you because if he is fishing on the Miss above Prescott and below the dam, that water is considered inland and is closed for walleye until the MN opener...the border water doesn't begin until below Prescott as defined in the regulations. Therefore inland regulations apply.

Besides that, who the hell wants to eat that many pool 3 fish anyway?

a 10-4 on stratosman post... Don't get to close to the dam. Stay down river from the "Y" in rivers. I agree, there is no need to keep limits and limits of fish from this river any time of the year... let alone just before the spawn. Not in my boat guys, not in my boat.

keeping limit after limit on multiple days of fishing is just plain wrong - doesn't matter where or when. I've kept a few limits in the past but only when I know they'll be eaten within a week or two (family/friends over for a fish fry, etc). At this time of year (pre-spawn), the fishing can be a heck of a lot of fun on legal waters like Pool 4 - go for the fun, keep a few 'eater sized', and release everything else.

I'd fully support a keeper slot (maybe 15-20 inches) on the both the Croix and the 'sippi. Problem is, the WI and MN DNR (and how about Iowa?) would never be able to come to an agreement - heck, they can't even get the opener date for the Croix figured out.

If you know of someone that is over their possession limit, call the tip-line. Not only are they breaking the rules, they're endangering the fishery for the rest of us, for years to come.

The information below can be found on page 15 of the 2007 Minnesota Fishing Reguations.

SPECIES OPEN SEASON POSSESSION LIMIT (SIZE)

WALLEYE May 12, 2007- 6* (Not more than 1

and SAUGER Feb. 24, 2008 walleye over 20" may be

(either or combined)

*(Minimum size limit 15" for walleye on the inland waters of Pool 3 [dam at Hastings to railroad tracks on the Minnesota—Wisconsin border]).

Never Enough......

I know South Dakota has way less fishing pressure than MN, but we got a 4 fish limit here and no closed season.. The fishery seems to be fine... I'm not for slaughtering the spawning walleyes however, just wanted to throw that out there..

First off Thanks for the input! I just feel it's wrong and the first chance I get to talk with this fella again I'll be sure to inform him, he maybe breaking the law depending just where he's been fishing, he never gave the spots just that he's been limiting out on the miss. I know that during the season on the croix I've taken my limit home many times on a saturday and sunday but by the following weekend my fish were eaten or given to someone to be eaten but thats different then catching them now before they spawn,right?

In my opinion it doesn't matter when you catch and keep a fish, as they will eventually be spawning anyway. However, when they are grouped up tight right now, (and in the fall for that matter) they can literally be slaughtered. All of that catch and release is no good, either-those hungry fish will keep hitting baits and that stress WILL kill them. Just look to Mille Lacs a couple years ago with the floating walleye mat. I have heard this year on Red that with the phenomenal bite and the strict harvest laws that people have been seeing a high amount of dead eyes on the bottom with their camera's. I like a hot bite as much as the next guy, but sometimes I think the "sport" fishing needs to be shut down for a spell. Besides, for me the thrill is in the hunt, not so much the kill. I would rather work hard and be rewarded with a few tough to catch fish than just plunk down in some overcrowded spot and start landing fish after fish. Just my opinion, but I know I am not alone.

Hello Gentleman,

This is Rob. I'm new to the site, but glad to be here. Being a grad student at The U of M in Fisheries/Aquatic Biology with a Conservation Biology minor and an interest in Human Dimensions I feel I can lend some insight to this issue. First, the DNR has a reason to keep the season open. What that is I don't know, haven't seen the data personally. Remember the DNR exists to serve us anglers, or at least try to. If you feel strongly about something tell them. All contact info in on their website. Second, this is a moral issue. It seems all of us are conservation minded anglers. That's great! My opinion is convienently displayed by my signature. Our ethics will ensure good fishing for generations to come, and us too. There will always be guys who harvest a lot of fish. The best thing to do is talk to them. DON'T yell, insult, or try to belittle them. Simply ask them why they are keeping so many fish. For all we know the guy might not have money for food and NEEDS the fish to feed his family. Or, he could just believe all fish that can be kept, should be kept. He could have no concept of fisheries conservation. Maybe you can educate him Walli1. It's worth a shot. See you guys on the water, a soon as finals are over.

Rob

Wow! Great first post, Rob!

Welcome to the site! I look forward to hearing more from you.

HB

Thanks HaywardBound. I can't wait to post some info about all the fish I catch on The Croix, or at least what I tried while I was getting skunked. Either way, I'll be sure to share my results with my fellow anglers without any exaggerations or intentional boasting.

let him, who in there right mind would eat a fish out of the ole miss anyway. When he gets cancer from all the 3M toxins, just say " I told you so".

Pretty nasty eating those fish if you ask me-Im sure some of those same fish make to the croix but ever since we caught 2 condoms in one day trolling around the airport(around the clean water discharge) I couldnt even think of someone eating those fish