Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dahitman44

The right on-board charger?

8 posts in this topic

MinnKota --

Do you guys like the Kota brand on-board charger? I got the Dual Pro from "Skeels" last year and it was a great one.

Now I have to get a new one because of the whole new-boat thing.

Which one do you guys use and why?

Some say to stay away from the 20 amp per cell trickle because it will kill your battery.

What are your thoughts

My boat (purchased used) came with a two year old, three bank Guest on-board charger. Within two years of my owning it, the Guest was fried. The original set up was that the first two banks charged the two batteries in the front for my bow mount 24 volt and the third bank was for the starting/main battery. Part of the problem could have been the wire that had to run all the way from the front of the boat back to the rear battery. I replaced it with a two bank Minnkota charger 5 years ago. So far, no complaints about the Minnkota.

I would say Dual Pro or Guest. I have had both and they worked great. Cabelas has their own brand that is made by both of these companies.

I have had good luck with the dual pro.

I liked the Dual too, but this salesperson is trying to get me inot the MinnKota -- said they are easier to work with if there is a problem.

I would explain to the salesman how you would a lot better if he took $75 off the price of that on board charger and installed it free. Then see how persistant he is.. grin.gif

I am looking forward to hooking up my gorilla charge that charges off of my trucks alternator as I roll on down the road.

Quote:

said they are easier to work with if there is a problem.

I can't speak for Minnkota's customer service as I've never used it. I've never used Dual Pro's either... but know that when there's a problem they take care of it... with very few questions asked. It's hard to get much better than that.

It could be that the salesman makes more commission on the Minn Kota than the Dual Pro...

marine_man

That is what I was thinking.

I have heard bad things about the MinnKota, but that might have been years ago.