Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
CodyDawg

Bob T

CodyDawg

Regarding your attempt at calling your local PF chapter, can you give me more details? I am a PF chapter guy with some ties to a chapter in your area and I can help you out if it is the right county. I posted this under where you had commented about it, but you maybe havent saw it.

BobT

I am located about 1-1/2mi SE of Osakis toward West Union in Todd Co.

The amount of land I’m talking about is not very much but it seems like it should fit well with the surroundings. It starts with a grassy draw through my property that opens to include a small 1-acre man-made pond surrounded by about 2 to 3 acres of cattails. I believe the grasses are mostly reed canary or orchard grass. There’s about 4 to 5 acres that borders this draw, which I quit faming all but about 2 acres of it 10 years ago because it was too wet most springs. The last 2 acres were planted in alfalfa three years ago but I have not harvested it in the last two years because it just doesn’t produce well enough to be worth it. I have farmed small grains and soybeans with some success but it’s one of those marginal pieces of ground that I feel I could enjoy more for the hunting, wildlife, and vegetation habitat it can provide.

The ground is very heavy and compacted because it tends to be a bit wet in most springs but is not classified wetland, except for the cattails of course, and likely would require some fertilization management. I have basically been letting it grow into what it will for now while watching for noxious infections such as thistle, burdock, nightshade, etc. and so far no problems that I am aware of. The plants that have taken root are quite varied but mostly grasses and wild flowers. Maybe its fine as is but I can’t help but think it could be improved for pheasant habitat if properly managed. Across the road is an 80 acre WPA. I do still farm about 8 acres that borders this ground and is currently in alfalfa but I expect to till it the fall of 2008. I am willing to use my tillage and drilling equipment to seed it down. I just could use a little guidance or a point in the right direction.

Part of my question includes management of the grassy draws on my place. They haven’t been burned since I moved here in 1991 and so they are beginning to get quite matted on the ground. I believe the pheasants seem to enjoy this because if you look, there are runways going everywhere under the mat but I don’t know if it should be managed differently.

I have no problem allowing hunters on my land and I have never turned anyone away from hunting when asked for permission. Actually, I’d love the opportunity to join in when I can. One fellow in the area was hunting the land every year until he contracted a staff infection that left him paralyzed. He commented that my property provides excellent hunting opportunity because of its layout.

CodyDawg

Sounds like you have a great start and only need a little help. I have contacts with the Douglas County Chapter, not Todd County, but let me see if I can get them to cross the border and help you out (although they are not experts in habitat, they are just volunteers who have done it). There are a lot of resources available who are experts and I can help get you in touch with them. email me at (Contact Us Please)deltaenv.com. I get up there now and again, in fact I will be up there this weekend for a funeral. I will try and drive by your place and look at it if you will describe where it is in an email.

BobT

For some reason I am unable to send you a private message. Hope it was okay to do this but I added my email address to my bio information. You could contact me that way.

Bob