• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lowrance networking

deerhuntr8

I have 2 Lowrance lcx-17m's. I am going to network them together to use 1 GPS. Does anyone know if I can network and run 1 transducer to both sonar's. This networking is kind of confusing. confused.gif Thanks for the help. grin.gif

You will need to use both transducers. The have schematics on line in a downloadable format that you can check out for reference...I believe it is LEI or lowrance.net, that should get you going in the right direction.

Right on tranducers are not connected to network. You can use 1 gps module for both units or any other add ons that connect to the network cable. Be sure you have the newest software that will allow waypont sharing. All can be had at lowrance website

Deerhunter8:

Just for some clarification, you can not share transducer information, but you are able to share the digital depth between units on the network.

JSS

I was also thinking of networking my two graphs. I was told I could share 1 transducer between the two. You would need a transducer switch to make it work.

Stratosman, I am assuming you have a Stratos. How do you like it? I have a '04 Skeeter TZX190, but I want to get a Stratos 201 Pro XL next year.

Well I did anyway, had a 21SS Extreme, nice boat and handled as good or better than any bass boat I have been in before or since. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Stratos in the future. We had a child so we decided to sell for a more family friendly boat....got an alumacraft tourny pro 175 Tiller now and am in the process of networking the bow GPS with the rear one....

The Stratos was awesome for fishing out of, muskie fishing especially.

Good luck

Quote:

How would a switch work? You could only use 1 at a time?

You can get a switch that lets you use 2 transducers on 1 unit, or 1 transducer on 2 units.

But you can't use them both at the same time, if you have 2 units and 1 transducer you will only see the sonar display on 1 unit at a time.

Quote:

How would a switch work? You could only use 1 at a time?

Yes, the switch only allows one to operate at a time. I have also noticed (I have 2 X-125 graphs) that I need to power down one device, make the switch, and then power up the other device otherwise I can get sync issues. I did try using my X-125 with the Minnkota built in transducer but I was very disapointed with the results. I then tried using a lowrance transducer on the Minnkota but didn't like how it stowed and deployed. I've also tried two transducers on the transom but I didn't like the interference and was never able to find a suitable second location for a transducer, as I have a kicker too so it's rather crowded back there.

I wish Lowrance would make the transducer and procesing guts of the fish finders a separate network device and let one or more displays access them. I guess I could get out the checkbook and get a couple of RayMarine E-Series displays (about $3200 each) and a fish finder module ($800) and do it up right, but that would be a bit of overkill for my Lund cool.gif

so now that they came up with this great backbone networking idea i cant just use my old gps reciever with a new unit? in the past when upgrading it was just plug in and go - now i have to rewire my boat to accept this stupid backbone system and new gps reciever that is only going to work for the dash mounted sonar/gps anyway...... is there a way around this? wish i would have been told before i spent the money - course it would of helped if i did the install more than 3 days before my first trip. just really dont want to tear the boat up right now.

Quote:

i cant just use my old gps reciever with a new unit? in the past when upgrading it was just plug in and go

It depends on which units you're talking about. Some are compatable, some are not. It has always been this way, every few years they change the connections on their units and sometimes older components will not work with newer units.

Quote:

now i have to rewire my boat to accept this stupid backbone system and new gps reciever that is only going to work for the dash mounted sonar/gps anyway

First, I don't think the backbone is 'stupid', I think it's a great design and has a ton of options. Second, if you are only using 1 unit and 1 puck, how much "rewiring' is there - one 'Y' cable or one 2-foot network cable with 2 T connectors is all you'll need. If you have multiple gps units you can run them all off that one gps receiver.

Good luck getting your gps to work.

Quote:

so now that they came up with this great backbone networking idea i cant just use my old gps reciever with a new unit?

When I hear the word "transducer" I assume the writer is talking about the fishfinder sonar unit (send a ping, pickup reflection). If you are asking about networking one GPS antenna with two GPS units then say antenna. And yes you should be able to network the GPS antenna with two head units. The newer NMEA 2000 network should make that fairly easy, you just need to correct cables and terminators. Connecting two LCX-17m's should be fairly easy and is covered on page 30-38 of the manual.

i had a x19 on the dash and a x15 on the bow of the boat. the x-15 got sold with the the old boat so i upgraded to a x112 for the dash and moved the x19 to the bow. both have there own transducers and pucks. now to get the new unit to work i have to install a new transducer and a new gps just to get the system to work? and why would i want to rewire the whole boat to run off one gps when i already have two working units? i get the idea and agree that would be really nice if starting from scratch or if was already installed in the boat but why change it so thats the only way things will work? makes for alot more work for guys who already had spent the money and time? personally i would rather spend that time fishing.....

if thats the way it is then oh well - nothing i can do about it just wanted to get an outside source telling me the same thing before i went at it.

why is there not a plug to make the old gps fit the new plug? then everyone would be happy.

Mtreno, are you hijacking this thread? The original poster asked I have 2 Lowrance lcx-17m's. I am going to network them together to use 1 GPS. Does anyone know if I can network and run 1 transducer to both sonar's. This networking is kind of confusing.

Now your situation is different and you seem to be mixing up questions. The transducers maybe different between the x112 and the x19, I don't know. If they have the same color transducer plug (i.e. blue ) then they maybe compatible - call Lowrance. If they are compatible then you can mount once transducer and feed both units but you will need a switch. The transducers are not network devices. Now, the GPS is different. The white GPS antenna is a network device. Lowrance changed their cabeling and I believe that there is an adapter cable to the new NMEA network cabeling so you may be able to have the X112 and x19 use the same GPS antenna. Have you contacted Lowrance?

so i ask a new question and fm'ers ask if i searched for similar topics. i ask i question in a similar topic and am told i am hijacking....... wow - since when did this site become more about the rules then helping people.......

anyway -

if you read what i wrote it speaks for itself - i have right now installed on the boat two working gps units (pucks - recievers - anntenas). i also have two working transducers both the same - one on the stern and one on my bow. i was just trying to verify that i needed to upgrade one of each to make my new sonar/gps work with its new connectors. the awnser is yes.

i see no reason why i would want both sonar/gps units to run off the same of anything. i run both units while casting so i need two transducers. 99% of my waypoints are already marked and can be updated with a card in 5 seconds. all i am going to do is get the new gps (reciever - puck - anntena) and new cable and run it like i would the old version. just seemed pointless to me and thought there may be a better way.

i will quit "hijacking" your thread now.

Grow up boy. It's clear you mommy didn't teach you any manners. Why don't you reread your post. You said

Quote:

so now that they came up with this great backbone networking idea i cant just use my old gps reciever with a new unit? in the past when upgrading it was just plug in and go - now i have to rewire my boat to accept this stupid backbone system and new gps reciever that is only going to work for the dash mounted sonar/gps anyway...... is there a way around this?

. In your poorly worded rant you seem to be saying that you need to rewire your boat in order to get your new unit working and want to know someway around it. That’s very different than what you're saying now. So climb off your high horse and if you have an intelligent question ask it. Try using English next time. Oh yeah, have you actually read the documentation from Lowrance?

Thanks for the help! I figured I could network in the GPS, but wasn't sure about the transducer. I will just keep using the transducer on the trolling motor for the 2nd unit.

Quote:

wish i would have been told before i spent the money

Did you ask anyone? Did you read the manuals (all available on-line)? I understand where you're coming from but there's pretty good documentation and a lot of info out there about this stuff. Seems like it's not Lowrance's fault.

Here's a reason you might want your stuff networked together .... if one of your gps antennas goes out, you could still run both units off working antenna. If one of your units goes out, you could swap locations (if the connections are compatable) and have full functionality. The network gives you a lot more options and flexibility if you want it.

P.J. - thanks for the help/advise. i have to admit that i had done no homework and kinda bought the unit unplanned. i got a good out of the box deal and did not get any manuals. i did not think of looking online till you told me to and now i have everything i need. thanks. at no time did i mean to blame anything on lowrance - they make great stuff and i have always been fan of there service. i did recieve some poor sales advice - looking back at the deal it makes sense why things were not brought up cause the unit did not come with a transducer or gps puck - thus why i was not informed mine would not work - would have killed the sale..... as of now i am not a fan of the network (mainly cause it does me no good) but i do see some long term upsides. he starting in a new boat prewired would be kinda neat. not needing two gps pucks would be kinda nice. being able to add stuff later easy is always a plus. and the new one does seem to grab a signal faster. either way of given the choice i would still stay with the old unit - but thats just me.

dink a dunk - sorry my grammer is not up to your standerds. my speelling is a bit off two. this is a fishing website courect? do i get extra points if i start using better grammer? will beter grammer catch me more muskies? will it make the walleye opener better in my boat compared to others? would it have fixed my sonar issues? to me it reads fine - maybe not the best but hey i not writing a book here. pretty sure the homework is fishing and not due after class...... and rippin mom - come on now. 26 years ago when mom was teachin me my mannors do yu really think she had even thought about how i would act on a open fishing forum?

the first poster got his questions awnsered. i picked up on his post and asked my questions because it was similar to his topic. i donot feel at any point i hindered anyone from getting what they wanted out of fishing minnesota.