Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GoggleEye

Where is the Vermilion River??

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I live just outside of the twin cities area and I have been reading all these posts about the vermilion river and how good it is. What I don't know is where the heck it is? Could anyone help me out and give me some info on this river. I just would like to know where boat accesses are, how deep it is and if you can run a 14 ft. boat on it, also any info on what the best fishing is for and best areas. I don't want to know your spots, just general areas to fish. I would like to get the boat out this weekend too, is that possible on the vermilion right now? Otherwise I'll have to go to the missi, but a new body of water is always fun. Thanks for any help. Good Luck!

The vermillion is just outside of hastings. There is also an access just north of red wing off of hwy 61. To get to the access outside of hastings you drive through town and take a left (if your coming from the north) on 10th street, then drive a couple miles. After the first access there's another a few miles past that. A 14 footer will be fine, just be careful, there are lot's of snags and dead heads in the river. I prefer to fish it with a canoe.

It's mostly known for crappies, but there are good numbers of white bass and walleyes also. I've caught a little of everything though. It's a very dirty river, so think big shiny lures.

THe Vermillion is an awesome river. It is a designated trout stream at the begining 20 miles. It starts in Farmington, then empire, vermillion twp; and then Hastings. Not designated trout just past Hwy. 52 near Empire. Very twisty and turny, more so above the falls, located in hastings right near conagra flour mill. Below the falls it slowly changes from trout stream type stream to a little deeper river w/ everything you could imagine in it as stated above. Holes range from 12 to 20' deep most channel runs 7- 12' deep. Some spots get much shallower though. Don't expect to go any where you please in a boat. If you want to target walleye or Northern, low level light is crucial; but you can hook into one any time of the day. The river is loaded w/ food and bait fish. The fish you catch are usually nice bellied fish. Presentation is critical usually With the river moving like it is in my back yard right now, it will be no time and we can put a boat in the water. If you guys come down, say hi; old 'lumi T-14xl w/ white 20 johnson.

If I am not mistaken I believe that the state record crappie also came out of the vermillion, something like 5 lbs?? But I do know that there is a lot of controversy around it as well.