Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler Holm

Zumbro Ice

2 posts in this topic

From what I hear the ice on the Zumbro is pretty well shot. It's really starting to open up near Fisherman's with 5' of water on the shorelines.

I was thinking a guy might be able to make it out on the North side near the pondy or public ramp, but I just recieved an email that the entire lake is under a "Slow or No Wake" Status. This means the water level is nearing flooding, so I'm going to venture a guess that there is several feet of water around the shorelines of the entire lake. Icing it might be over for the Zum frown.gif

Just took a drive down to Fisherman's Inn to check out the condition of the ice....bad news....she's done for....didn't go down to Pondy area but I can't imagine it's much different down there.

The lake is up I'd say at least 5 feet from when I was there Sunday and it has busted out the shore ice and looks to have raised pretty good havoc with the ice that remains as well. The water was half way up the railing on the little fishing pier on the North side of the point - like I said, I figure that's at least 5 feet higher than Sunday.

Too bad...I figure it was just about to really turn on in that area too.

Oh well, Won't make the Foster's outing tomorrow now so I'm thinking of making a trip over Waseca way Sat if the news is better that way to get one more outing in before open water.

Be careful if you venture out.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• popriveter
      Silver lake in New Brighton is iced over. I'm going to count one week before checking thickness on my early ice spots. Could be fishing next Friday if all goes well.  
    • fishingstar
      Hey eyes one thing nice is you have reveres to help clean out your holes
    • Spearing Machine
      Thanks Cliff! I've been very closely monitoring Pike Bay the last few weeks I'm not far from you as the crow flies right on the bay. Still sitting at 4-5 inches of ALL refroze slush. No good ice. It's flooding over pretty good with 1-3 inches water with the couple inches snow still on top. Hopefully the cold penetrates that snow and gets things going so I can run the sled right up the bay to McKinley by next weekend.
    • Stick in Mud
      The ice on the small pond on the west side of the road heading into SJU was able to hold my weight (which is substantial, alas).  I didn't have a chisel, and I wasn't about to go any further out.  Still, very good sign.  I'm sure there'll be guys out by the end of the weekend, if not sooner.     
    • Stick in Mud
      I think the fishing will be outstanding this winter.   They were certainly going crazy in early December.  I honestly don't care about keeping any fish, though it is nice to have the option of bringing one home.  I don't understand why guys drive four or five hours to catch dozens of dinks on Red Lake--especially last year when you could only keep two or three--when Mille Lacs was *insane* last year with both numbers and size.  Oh well.  It obviously sucks for the businesses, but I won't complain about having the best flats all to myself.    We were up on the northwest side out of Myr Mar.  The harbor didn't even freeze up. We did nothing special...trolled slowly using big baits, on shoreline breaks, over remaining weeds, and over rocks. It was just like the old days, only back then we thought we were tough when we fished in early November.