Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shamrock7

Current Ice Conditions

63 posts in this topic

For those curious, the snow is gone off the lake. The snowmobile club has been busy picking up trail markers. The water stabilized last night in the central part of the lake. We drilled holes yesterday to help drain the excess water off the ice. Had really neat wave action going all across the bay. Travel will be limited to 4 wheelers unless it warms up and softens the ice enough to lube the slides on snowmobiles. Watch the landings and where any water enters the lake as these areas may be dangerous. Truck went thru Lake Bemidji I hear from another FM'er. Fire season right around the corner. Be careful out there.

Forgot to mention that the auger is just getting thru the ice on the road. So you should not need an extension if you are planning on going out and doing come fishing.

Thanks for the update. Any news about Elbow Lake specifically?

wh1stler

Quote:

Thanks for the update. Any news about Elbow Lake specifically?

wh1stler

Most of the area lakes that I have been on are in about the same condition.

Cliff

Shamrock7,

Can you post a picture of the new fire boat?

Here are some pics of the boat.

fireboat007.jpg

fireboat006.jpg

fireboat012.jpg

Wow and thanks ht22

ps the humminbird looks sweet along with the gps setup grin.gif

Yea. It actually has the moving map GPS integrated with the radar. So we just have to look at one screen now and the images are combined. It will be nice when the water gets soft again so we can get it in the water. Will be a very valuable piece of equipment for the lake.

heartattack22,

What motor does that have on it?

I'll have to swing by and see if I can see it in person when I'm up in June! Awesome boat!

It has twin 250 Evinrude Etec's. and a 220 HP mercruiser as the fire pump engine.

Any updates on the ice? Are cars still driving? JKrash, any pictures?

Thanks

Trout Lake skips this weekend??? Is the river opened up?

There is still plenty of solid ice.

You may have to watch the landings though.

Cliff

I usually guess late on the "ICE OUT" contest. I'm at May 6th.....how do I look????

May,6th will probably be late this year if the current conditions hold.

Cliff

Still hardly any water at the river. Good water at the Frog in Oak Narrows but not at Trout River. Could probably skip a 4 wheeler there now. Flew over the river at about 1:30 this afternoon and there was hardly anyone there.

How thick is that ice now after this warm streak? Im hoping in doesnt go out too early so we can fish in our usual spring spots.

Was out for a while this afternoon. Looks like about 30" of ice right now. From the looks of the beaver pond on the end of Daisy bay, I would have to guess we have about 3 weeks for ice out. I will give you a better estimate when the ice clears off that pond as Vermilion will clear 10 days after that. (Usually) Now that I have given my secret for determining ice out, something is going to happen and I will be way wrong.

Water is roaring over the Pike river dam, so Pike bay should open up by Easter. Ice out looks like it will happen around the 3rd week in April, by what I see now. The ice out date has been April 16th the last 2 years and I see no reason why it should be much later than that this year. Unless the weather takes a big turn in the coming days.

"Ace"

Did the Vermilion area get much of the rain that the Twin Cities received this weekend?

Thanks

The rain guage as of this morning had 1/2 inch in it...

It has been raining fairly steady in the Tower area since Friday. We still need a lot more!

Cliff

6" of snow in the forecast. Guess I won't be putting any boats in the water this week.

BOO! (Maybe next week?)

Its been raining steadily here too since friday.