Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BLACKJACK

What kind of pheasant feeder works for you?

5 posts in this topic

Would like to know what kind of pheasant feeder you use - when the time comes to feed. Yes I know food plots are best but we just had that discussion in another post...

In the past when cob corn was readily available, the wire ring was the standard. Now with shelled corn, I've tried 1/4 mesh feeders and I've tried a barrel feeder with a trough on it, that seemed to be more of deer feeder. I've thought of using the mechanical tripod feeder like Moultrie sells but haven't - yet.

What works for you as a pheasant feeder?

The feeders I have from the local PF chapter are made from a plastic barrel. They have 2-3 rectangle cut-outs near the bottom covered with mesh large enough for the corn. inside the barrel is a inverted funnel to direct corn to the otside of the barrell to the cut-outs. This is made from a peice of sheet metal. The lid is from the end of the barrel that was cut off. A slit is cut into the barrell from the top down about 6-8" and the barrell is then squeezed together and bolted. The end that was cut off now fits over the top and is water tight.

I know that this is not the best explanation and I could take a couple of pics and post if anybody would like to see them.

These seem to work well, but I did have what I think was a bear knock one over and bang it up a little but didn't hurt it much.

I have pretty much the same except I scaled it down a bit because the steel 55 gallon drums are so hard to find clean (not petroleum or pesticide used). I used a garbage can with a locking lid.

The feeder then sits on a little deck of green treated lumber.

Dotch on here actually was kind enough to send me some plans for it many years ago. If he still has them, I wonder if we could talk him into posting them???

Do pheasants actually use these? I've seen some in Sterns county on some of the management areas. Do you put a fence around it to keep the deer out?

The deer can't peck through the mesh/chicken wire to get the food out. That's the whole idea. Pheasants used mine the one winter I actually needed to do some supplemental feeding...