• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Wondering if anyone has been by this area of the river, and if this ramp was open and what the conditions were. With all the warm temps, I would be hopeful that any snow melted. Please let me know, anxious to get out there. Thanks all.

Went out of hidden falls last night. Alot of junk being dumped in to the mississippi from the minnesota. I don't know if I would want to put in below that area right now. Alot of large "icebergs" and logs.

it is not to bad at the lillydale. i dont sugest running to fast. i seen a few guys runnin like idiots in there 25,000 dollar boats. there is alot of just barely floaters comin down still. one hit at 25mph on a boat could do some damage

Lots of debris in the St Paul Park area this weekend, i hit a log that was under the surface, luckly i was only doing 5-10mph just putting along going upstream, scared the crap out of me none the less though. I wouldn't want to be swimming in that water or loose my prop/lower unit to a log, you'd be in Hastings in no time. I had guys flying by me at 40+ mph, good luck to them. Must have balls of steel and lots of money for boat repair.

Now is Lilydale on water road in St Paul's west side. Is it just past swing bridge or is it at that yatch club? Or is it the yatch club. I fished that area for years and just can not place the name. My buddies allways coined it as the carp spot. Thanks. I feel stupid, I can not think what Lilydale is. It must be all those gas fumes from tuneing up my boat this after-noon...

Shack Lillydale is just east of 35e on hwy 13. You make a quick u turn off the freeway and wind down to the road along the river. There is a supper club right on the river there. I have driven by it for 20 years and don't know the name tongue.gif the ramp is just east of there.

Dan

u can also take plato ave to and then at the stop sign by the river take a left and the landing is about 2-3miles down

When you take that left by harriet island, Plato ave turn into water road (by the bait shop). I think Lilydale ramp is the ramp I have been going out of for years. I figured it was just called St. Paul/ Mississippi public access. It is about a 1/4 click west of train swing bridge. Is it? I do know you can access it from the west aswell. You go by yatch club (possibley Lilydale yatch club) and come in on water road. Any ways, I sure am getting the urge to head down there. I love that part of the river. In July and Aug. there is alot of boat traffic, but I love that kind of problem. All the paddle boats and big cruisers. I have been down there many years when the taste of MN is going on and the fire works are going off right above our heads. To me it is one of the greatest and most diverse fishing area'a in MN. I mostly catfish down there. The brother in-law caught a 20 plus pounder right by swing bridge a couple of summers ago. I have caught alot of Flats and blues, but never got anything over 15-16 (besides my brother in-law). I just got off phone with buddy and plaining a trip with in a couple of weeks. Anyone have any luck with cat fish down there?

i got the kitty in my avitar down there last week. where is this bait shop on plato i have never seen it before

that's the one shack. just up river from the bridge. I come in from lakeville, I come off 35E. I have just started fishing down there. Sound like you and your brother are set. But If you ever want to go, I'll supply the bait and the boat. You supply the lesson on how to fish for cats. grin.gif From the info I have read it sounds like to much fun to pass up.

Dan

There used to be a bait shop right across from the upper marina part of the St. Paul yacht club. I went by it on Sunday and the for sale sign was hanging on the front of the shack so it appears it's out of business now. Would be nice to find another bait shop down there.

Beavflick,

The bait store is right after you take the left from Plato on to Water Road (the T with Harriet right in front of you). After taking left as the road curves to the right to go under High bridge, the bait store is on you left. Right up against bluff. There is one of those caves behind it. It is a white building. They are kind of lacks on signage and they are not open all the time. When they are open, they have those real river weights (pyramid style). They are not big, but they were open last year. They cater to river fishing, but still have crappie stuff for Pickerel lake. The little lake/ back water the rail rod tracks run over I have ice fished that and summer shore fished for crappies and northern. Have not caught crappies there for awhile. When we did, they were nice sized.

SHACKBASH

P.S.

Liar,

I might take you up on that offer. My next week is kind of busy, but I might contact you about going. Living in Princeton, It would be nice driving fuel econ car down, verses a large SUV with boat. Thanks for the offer. I would like to get my boat out though. I will post a day or two before I go down in next couple weeks to let you know when I am going down. Thanks again.

Beavflick,

Have you lived on West Side long. I know alot of people from West Side. My brother In-law grew up by Cherokee park?

Nice fish, makes me want to head down there even more.

Cheme,

I think you are talking about bait shop almost under High bridge. They sell that every year in the off season and open it in spring when I does not sell. They have been doing this for years. If it does not sell, it will be open.

Who knows, it closed one year and open the next. Thanks for the update though.

i hope there still there its the only place i know with the big suckers but a person at work knows them and i think she sd they out of it but like isaid i hope not

NO I JUST MOVED DOWN FROM DULUTH LAST AUGUST. THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE BAIT SHOP I WILL HAVE TO CHECK IT OUT AND SEE WHEN THEY ARE OPEN

beavflick

What were you using for bait. By the back ground in you pic, I have an idea were you were at. I my self am going to try more of the stink bait this year. Cut suckers or frozen smelt just have not been doing great for big cats. My goal this summer is to catch a 40 plus punder. I know there down there. I just need to find them. I bought a better sonar this year and I hope to be able to tell size more so than just if fish are down there.

i was using a green 1/2oz fuzzy grub casting for walleyes off shore at got that kitty, no bait just the fuzzy grub, they are down there i know a few spots i wanna try at night in the boat.

Shack-

Cut bait and stink bait are mainly channel cat baits, but you can still catch flathead cats on them. If your looking to get one 40+ it will more than likely be a Flathead.(or you would have the new MN record for the Channel Cat) For the big cats I would reccomend large live baits. Suckers, bullheads up to 7 inches, and creek chub work good.

I have seen shows, were they are catching large cats through the ice on the Minnesota. The were useing large plastic baits and jigging right on top of them. I wonder if this time of year it would be still wise to use this tactic.

I should of stated a 40 plus flat head.

I wouldnt rule out cut bait in the spring for flatheads. Ive seen it work plenty of times on pool 2... in the spring.

I think location of bait/presentation this early in the year is more important than bait choice. Bonk a flathead on the nose with your bait, and if hes hungry he will take it. When water temp climbs 5 or so more degrees, they will be feeding for a little while, but only an opertunity feed, not an aggresive hunting feed. Finding the perfect area, and keeping your presentation still and free of debris is the hard part.

good fishing fellas

I do agree about keeping debris off of bait. This time of year with all the stuff rushing on bottom and mid ways up,

one forgets about that junk. not to mention holding one's boat on a hole or bar in this current. Channelfats would you say back water is a good place this time of year. How about up the minnesota a little ways. If i remember there are some spots this time of year that are flooded and accesible by boat, that are not later in spring or summer.

Quote:

The were useing large plastic baits and jigging right on top of them.

I hear of a lot of walleye fisherman that will come across large flatheads while jigging in the early season. Especially near Red Wing.

Anyone been down to pool 2 or Harriet Island area? I figure with cold spell going on, no one is fishing. I heard of 70's by end of next week. If that does not change, going down in two weekends in boat. Got new stuff at Sportsman's Show and want to try out!

fishing been real slow on Pool 2, i would head to pool 4 if i were u

I think I'll bag my outing on Saturday morning and hit the fly shops instead. thanks for the update.

beavflick-

That is a flattie in your avatar correct? Caught recently? Thats a good sign!

Anyway, my opinion for big cats on that stretch is to fish live baits (suckers & bullheads) in the month of June. That will totally tip the odds in your favor with a prespawn bite. Flats "normally" do not get active until water temps are over 50 degrees. Doesn't mean you can't catch them now but it is a slow go for any kind of predictable pattern. I've seen lots of 20-40lb fish caught in that area.

My opinion is to not get too excited about fishing them this month, but you'll definitely want to be on the water by mid-May.

yeah it is from a few weeks ago, didnt fight to much but was nice to get

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone launch from Lilydale this weekend? Was is busy or dead. How is ramp looking this year?