Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishinpapa

Gov's Opener

12 posts in this topic

I assume Walker will be a zoo on the opener with the guv coming and such. Any thoughts on what kind of opener we can expect. Lots of fish in the slots or under?

This Fall was a good mix of slot/non slot fish. I would think the opener would be similar.

The City of Walker will be busy with the Governor's opener activities. Leech is a very large lake with plenty of room to fish. Some areas will see crowds, but, there should be plenty of areas holding fish to explore.

I will be out guiding for the gov opener party... Should be real interesting this spring... Hopefully this spring will be WET... We need the rain for the lake levels...

Beef

Send the gov up to Portage Bay and see if he can catch a walleye up there. GOOD LUCK!!!

The improved Walleye fishing success last Fall and the expectation for improved Spring fishing, may not include all areas of the lake. While Walker Bay and the Northern half of the main basin were more productive for me, the Southern main basin was still off. The Southern half of the lake was where I would start before moving to other areas. I did not fish the Northern, North Eastern or Eastern bays.

In the past, I would spend the majority of my time fishing the South main basin and the South and West shores; however, I have not seen the improvement in these areas that I have experienced North. I don’t know why I have not experienced better success in areas that in the past have been productive in other parts of the lake. I’ve talked to others who spend the majority of their time fishing these same areas and have had similar experiences.

The hatch and stocking should have been across all areas and the DNR test netting sampled all areas of the lake with positive results. Has anyone else had different experiences? Has anyone had good, consistent success in the southern and western areas this past season?

Well, I hope this year there is a change in the southern basin. I will be spending the majority of my summer working at Trapper's Landing. Should be able to squeek in a few hours each day to fish, being this will be my first year fishing Leech I won't have much to base off of. Beef, stop over and say hi when you get a chance over opener.

I think that would be cool to guide the govenors opener fishing tourney. How do you go about being a guide for it? Who here has done it before and was it a good or bad experience for you.

They will need guides, Just call the chamber. Hopefully the gov will get a local guide who knows the waters.

Quote:

I will be out guiding for the gov opener party... Should be real interesting this spring... Hopefully this spring will be WET... We need the rain for the lake levels...

Beef

How low is the water level?

Up on Cass it is terrible... On both Cass and Leech we won't know for sure until the hard water is gone... We really need a wet spring to help get the water levels back up... Before ice up Cass and Pike Bay were WAY down.... I didn't make it out on to Leech for the last month of the open water season, but before that I noticed lower than usual water...

Beef

Can't wait to fish the Guv Opener either! I'll have a top notch guide out there so I can get plenty of photos for the Outdoor News and WriteOutdoors.

NERD ALERT--So I checked the Federal Dam website for Leech Lake and it shows that the lake level is down just a few inches from last March. That's the good news, the bad news is that it's about a foot lower than the 10-year average. At least the data I looked at showed that.

Boy is this warm weather getting me pumped. Just put a coat of wax on the rig and vacuuming and cleaning etc.,..Not long now!!! Wish I lived up there and didn't have to endure the drive though!! Still praying for some rain though.