Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Can'tFishEnuf

Valve Clearance/Timing Belts

1 post in this topic

I have a 04 Yamaha 50hp - 4 stroke, how often should the valve clearance be checked/adjusted? What about the timing belt? The manual says about every 100-200 hours. Why do these things have to be checked so often? Never need to check valve clearance in a car engine and timing belts last for 70-120K miles. I do realize that a boat engine is under a different type of load than an automobile, but it still seems a little funny. Or should I just live with it and buy an E-tec (or that style 2 stroke) next time?

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Knowknot
      Sounds pretty slow, I was up and out of Zipple Bay on Monday and Tuesday in about 26 ft. of water and did OK. Good mix of nice sauger and walleye. I think they closed the road to trucks and just letting atvs out now. Good luck on the river. 
    • DLD24
      We got ours from springsteel, they had some at the bait store in warroad. Couldn't find ciscos, warroad had smelt though.
    • eyeguy 54
      nom nom nom ! !  @monstermoose78  @Rick G
    • ripstick
      Is it filling up with tables yet?
    • Ray Berg
      Arrived at Morris pt. Fri. afternoon fished a spot I did well on earlier in the year in 18 ft. Ended up catching 10 walleye of which 8 were under 12 inches. The 2 keepers were 16 inches each. That was between 4 pm and 7 pm Used the snowmobile there was enough slush to keep the slides cool. Sat. morning went deeper because of a report I heard. Caught 1 small walleye moved several times between 29 ft and 20 ft. At 1 pm went back to my spot in 18 ft banged 3 more walleyes 2 15 inchers and a 12 incher. then nothing .Off the lake by 2pm had work to do. Wished I would of started there but that's fishing.Talked to 3 guy's in the cleaning house that road there wheelers to Bridges they had there limits plus 3 huge perch and a few tullies. On a side note coming home today saw numerous boats both coming and going. Time to jump on board and hit the river..