Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slick2526

where to go?

6 posts in this topic

Well then. Im sure you guys have heard this question plenty of times. where would you go in the ely/bwca area for walleyes. I was up there along long time ago. white iron lake I believe it was?

We left from the resort and took a boat out through some of the portages. The walleye action was great but the size wasnt all their. Im not looking to go out and keep every big fish I catch. But i would like to take pictures and measurments of a trophy sized (28" or bigger) walleye and release one.

This time I will have my own canoe, flat-back with a 2-3hr gas motor, and also a gps.

So i guess my main question is what would you guys suggest for a lake in the bwca that has gas motors allowed, with camping in on the lake or close in the region of the lake that would be possible for some excellent walleye fishing. any info is appreciated. Thanks for your time guys. Also do i need to get a permit for going into the area or anything of the sort?

any info would be appreciated. Im just looking for somewhere to start to even look for info about planning the trip. Thanks

Vermillion might be a good bet. OR a bit further north to the Voyagers Park lake system.

Basswood Pipestone Falls area out of fall lake. A couple small portages (3) if I remember right. Fishing is real good early in the year and decent throughout summer.

Northlander is right on as usual, the only exception is that there are only 2 portages from Fall lk. into Pipestone bay, both about 80 rods and very easy with a lightweight rig on portage wheels. BWCA overnight motor permit is required to stay overnight, or a day motor permit for a day trip. Both can be hard to come by early in the year, but availability usually improves after the first week in June.

Burntside is your best bet to get a fish that size. Late June and early July is the time of year that will give you the greatest chance at success. No permit needed, about 4 camp sites on the lake, best time to assure you getting one would be Monday - Thursday. Walleyes should be on the reefs in 12-16 feet of water, and can be fished during the day. Square stern canoe with a small motor will work just fine unless it gets very windy.