Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Vermillion Crappies

6 posts in this topic

I fish the vermillion alot in the summer and do well on crappies. When do they start getting active in the river? I was thinking of fishing it the 1st weekend of april when the river is high and flooding the wood and timber. Will the big ones be gearing up for spawning by then?

they are always there. not always easy to get to bite though. I think they travel a lot in that river. Very good all around fishing river. very very fun. can be very very very frustrating though.

As of now I think my only concern is the water levels. I've been to the hastings access when water levels have completely flooded the lot. I'd like the water to be high, but definitely not that high.

RIght now the water is raging over the falls. Very dirty choc. milk water. Haven't made it east of town lately but it is definetly high water right now.

Just wondering where you guys fish this river for craps, just a general viscinity. i know the state record black came from the river, and would love to get in on it one of these years

There's definitely some big slabs in there. My biggest last year was about 1.5 pounds. The railroad bridge downstream from the hastings access used to be good until they replaced the old wood pillers with new metal ones. Otherwise I always concentrate on the flooded timber or fallen down trees.