Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
311Hemi

Older trolling motor and small battery?

5 posts in this topic

I am looking to modify an old trolling motor to use on my 12' duck boat (flat bottom with v shape points on both ends) and am wondering how long a smaller battery charge might last to determine if it's worth it. Possibly a motorcycle battery.

I don't have room for a full size battery and there is no way I could carry the weight of one. Just looking to get out and back across the slew. Thinking about turning an old trolling motor into a go-devil shaped motor.

The slew is only 1/2 miles long.

Thoughts?

Anyone?

I spose you could set it up, turn on the trolling motor, walk away, come back later and see how long it took for the battery to go dead. That would kinda sorta ball park it for you.

Old motor=no maximizer, that along with a small battery will get you not far. plus you'll ruin the battery because its not intended to be used for continuous draw like a deep cycle is.

Got an old weed waker?

Quote:

Old motor=no maximizer, that along with a small battery will get you not far. plus you'll ruin the battery because its not intended to be used for continuous draw like a deep cycle is.

Got an old weed waker?

That is exactly why I asked.....Thanks for the response. I don't want to ruin my bike battery. I will have to look for the lightest deep cycle I can find.

No old weed wacker.....but I thought about building one that way also.