Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gws

Nest Lake?

4 posts in this topic

My parents are considering moving back to central MN from Northern MN in order to be closer to home. They have put Nest Lake on their short list of possible lakes. I would appreciate any information about the lake and the fishery. I have found some posts about weeds and poor water quality in summer. (So how bad is it????) Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!!

gws...

Nest is a wonderful lake to fish, it is definately one of the better multi species lakes in the area. It is a very good panfish lake, lots of pike and bass and if you work a little bit, it isn't to bad finding them walleyes too. As far as it being bad, maybe during the dogdays of summer it is real weedy and green, but I myself have not seen it real green. Weeds are a good thing if you love to fish. It can get really weedy at times in the early part of summer, but it seems that the weeds die off shortly before the dog days of summer end. Let me know if your folks decide to buy a place on the lake or close by, I would be happy to hook up sometime and do some fishing out there......later...

My grandparents live on the lake and I recreate/fish on it all the time.

Traditionally in the past 8 years or so the weeds will start growing about a week or 2 after opener and get really bad or bad enough to irritate a person until about the end of June when the lake warms up. The weeds die off then and the lake is good to go!

The lake really doesnt get green at all. Sometimes there is a slight bloom of algae in the lake but nothing special. My grandparents own a pontoon on the lake so when it gets off it’s off to the lake and out to the sand bar! It’s a nice little lake and in-fact the only one with at least 3(?) resorts on it yet. Out of the 5 that used to be on there...

PS, pray for high water levels all year this year. The boat landings in the area will need it!

It's a nice lake to land on...if they are moving....cheaper than Green....less pressure/water activities.....very nice multi-species lake....... 945 acres of fish and fun.....