Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
superhawk16

Mid-July Trip.....Pelican or Vermillion

3 posts in this topic

I need a little advice from you guys....I am booking my summer camping trip with my brother in the next few days and I have it narrowed down to Pines Acres on Pelican or Mckinley on Vermilion. Last year I took my younger brother up to the later of the two for the week of june 17th-24th and we had mediocre fishing. managed around 10 smallies a day but the walleyes were very inconsistent (only caught one 28incher...while musky fishing!) due to us coming up during the later part of the mayfly hatch. Still had a fun time and was VERY happy with mckinley but would like to get a few more fish.

This summer I would probably end up coming up towards the middle of july because I don't want to hit the mayfly hatch again and because I don't want to deal with all the campers over the 4th of july week. Since I don't get back from college until the first week of june and leave back for school around the middle of august this is really my only time to come up.

so, I guess my question is...what trip would you guys take (I would really like to get my younger brother on a lot of fish since he isn't much of a fisherman and tends to get bored easily).....I am leaning towards pelican.

Thanks a lot

superhawk

It depends. When the smallies start hitting on vermilion...ITS ON!

But If it was me, I would fish pelican. Even though 80% of the time its a nightmare trying to stay along the shoreline for casting in the wind. Pelican has alot of bucketmouths along with smallies thats why I like it. Pelican is the best bass lake in Minnesota in my opinion. Early june is the best time. With the low water level and below avg snowmelt I wish u the best of luck getting out of the bay at Pine Acres.

i would say...go to mckinley....think big lake fishing from there...guess what i mean is disect deep water near some sort of structure out of deep water....thats when things are sort of normal....try to get the fish in their transition stage....they move a lot that time of year....but tease with certain patterns....so yes vermilion