Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
so haaad

New camping regulations proposed

3 posts in this topic

FYI - The Nat. Park Service is proposing new camping regulations on NPS administered lands along the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway between Taylors Falls and Stillwater.

More info can be found at: http://www.nps.gov/sacn/parkmgmt/publicinvolvement.htm

An overview (Alternative 3a): Designated Campsites, Designated Backwater Campsites, Overnight Boat Tie-ups, and Overnight Use Pass. Actions included in the preferred alternative include limiting tent camping to designated campsites, establishing group size limits, and requiring carry-in, carry-out or onboard toilets. All overnight users would need to be in possession of an annual overnight use pass which would be available free-of-charge. The purpose of the pass is to ensure that all overnight users are aware of applicable rules and regulations and their purpose. A camping permit or reservation system, with associated fees, may be implemented in the future if camping demand warrants it.

I think it's a good idea. The river is becoming way too crowded with inconsiderate people. I've noticed more garbage at campsites, as well as various other places along the shoreline, and even floating down the river.

I also think putting stricter rules on the canoers that float between interstate and william o'brien should be implemented.

Its just sad that people need to be governed on how and where they can camp on the river.The days of{hey lets pull up there and build camp for the night} are gone from the Croix.They wont let you go north of the highbridge cause of zebra mussels,but didnt seem to worried about the lower part getting infested.The number of campsites from Stillwater north are very limited.Its just a sad sign of the times.About the only place I know that you can camp without getting a permit or giving up your first born is the old mighty Miss further south.Although when you see what some folks do to an area they camp on I can understand why we need more policing.And that is ashame frown.gif