Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dahitman44

Drift sock

5 posts in this topic

Has anyone looked into brands of socks? Are they all the same? My old 16 footer has a white drift sock -- don;t know what it said, but it worked.

Do I need to with the 185 Trophy?

Any difference in brands?

Is bigger better? Sounds dumb, I know.

Hitman

Hitman. IN my personal opinion you should have 4 drift socks in your boat. 2 of them 42" aproximately one for front one for back. Then get your self 2 of the smallest ones and a nice junk of rope about 20 feet long. Now with the 2 smaller ones:

HINT HINT BIG IDEA COMING

take the rope and tie one end one of your front cleats. (do this while in the trailer) \, Now strech the rope under the boat and to the cleat on the other side. You should now have a rope that is tied to a cleat on both sides and running under your boat. Now what you will do is grab a majic marker or some tape and pick a point on each side of the rope halfway up the boat. Untie the rope. Next take the 2 socks and tie one to each mark. Now when you are in the wind or current and need to slow your boat way down, you can depploy this trick and you will have 2 brakes so to say under the bow of your boat. DO not leave on your boat when you try and take off, it wont work very well. But this will help immensely for boat controll in the wind. I learned this trick from my Boss's nephew who fishes the PWT and lives on Millacs. works slicker than snot. I also read about this in the walleye insider Magazine last month or this month. The also discussed this at Walley U on Saterday.

You will DEFINITELY need a sock or two, you will find out the effect the wind will have on your boat.

I was kind of thinking that I would need two.

Any thoughts on brand or doesn't that matter. I have a white one on the old boat -- worked well, but I can't remember what kind it was.

Hitman, there was a merger between a couple of companys with drift socks. Just make sure you ahve one with floats on the top and weights on the bottom. With no weights on the bottom they may not open correctly