Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shack

Ode to Cranker!

15 posts in this topic

Well folk’s I went up! I went up Sat. to Appledorns and was the first truck/SUV out on ice (hit ice about 10 minutes to 7:00 a.m.). I think I was first truck on whole lake. I hit doe reef (8 feet) first and did not see a thing. I moved to south tip in about 15 feet and saw a couple nice ones on cam and caught a couple nice one as well (not jumbo’s). During this time I did have a bald eagle fly right over my truck and land by three guys in a Chevy, wow was that neat. By then around 9:00 a.m. I noticed a group gathering west of reef in deeper water and I headed their way. I stayed about 500 yards towards doe reef and still found my self in 10 feet. Around this time one of Karpon’s old nightmare behemoth plow trucks (big blue or old blue) pulls right up to my shack . It was Cranker, coming to collect road fee. Not only did he collect my $10.00, he gave me advise on were I should go. He pointed out at the large group. Right after he left I did go out by the mounting crowd in deep water. I tried fishing their for about and hour and did not get anything. I then moved back to the area I had see perch and did not get anything their as well. A little while had passed and a four wheeler pulled up. It was Cranker again! He asked how I was doing and I told him I was doing poor. He once again said to move out by that crowd of people in 20-26 feet of water. I should add when he was telling me all this, he was giving me advise on why to go their not just saying go their. I did once again go out their. I did finally get some jumbo’s and saw many more on cam. By the after noon it was crazy out their. A lot of people. I did see people bragging about and showing people what they had in their coolers, so I know people were catching fish. I did find smaller bobber (advise from Cranker) and plain colored hook worked best (yellow first and then red for second option). Also larger minnow seemed to work as well. The only other resort I have had such a liking for owner or operator is Jay at Wilderness Warmth or old Joe Karpon him self. I have two morals to this post. First giving advise even down to the tee, does not mean you will catch them. It just helps and makes things more fun for all. It gives you that “theirs a chance feeling” it does not mean it will work for all people. So fellow F.M.ers, give all the advise you can give (except your grouse haunts and small bodies of water), you will put a smile on someone’s face like Cranker did for me. The second moral is Cranker is as nice and as friendly as they say he is.

Fish on (as cranker says),

SHACKBASH

HrBnYbF08snSfdT477o8zujogFslmOXX0300.jpg

This image is of the eagle eating something on ice. Eagle is to the right.

GMzrDfeRD-c1SKWkeT-06QqDVxWx21hl0300.jpg

This image is of the crowd on Crankers hot spot.

KpGTQRe0AYv54XecScFA56Cjrj8He8xa0300.jpg

I know I will get crap for this but,

this one is of my Hotrod. It was the next image in my gallerie and with this warm weather its all I can think about. I love it almost as much as fishing, plus it looks so nice now that I have it all back together now. Snow and ice can melt now, I had my March perch trip and My hotrod is ready.

SHACKBASH

very cool shackbash! thanks for your input.

regards,

minnesotatuff

P.S.

In middle image theirs a hand heater wrapper on ice. I did pick a couple of theis up. Remeber, it all does not float to shore (my water cam shows me all kinds of things), and pick up after you leave. The fish will love you for it.

Thanks for the detailed report Shackbash, as always you have good info!

Thanks guys!

I say the heck with fishing, nice car dude. cool.gif

Shackbash,

Thank you for the very kind words! But I am not the owner operator. Chuck and Marilyn Appeldoorn are the owners of the resort. They have put alot of hard earned dollars into this resort and deserve a lot of the credit!

For those who have not come and scene us yet and remember the way this resort used to be. I personally invite you to come and visit us here at Appeldoorn's and see the resort now. I am very proud to have the opportunity to help Chuck and Marilyn here at the resort.

Nice Car by the way. Look forward to having you visit us again here at Appeldoorn's Sunset Bay Resort!

Fish On!!!

I was out today on the ice out of appledorn's and yes it was hot out there. We didn't catch any hogs 12 and thirteens but we did end up with enough keeper perch for a dinner or two. Cranker also did an excellent job going around helping/checking on people on his fourwheeler that he almost got stuck many times.

Cranker,

Thanks again. I stated "owner or operator" because I did not know if you had a steak in Appledorns, but you sure do operate like you do.

Whats a Cranker?? Does Abu have a new reel out for cat fishing? I would call that a Cranker. wink.gif

Tom,

Let Abu know about that! I'm open to it.

Fish On!!!

I always thought you had to pay for the Road Pass before you went on the lake and not expect them to hunt you down???? confused.gif

Whip,

Sound like SB got there before they were open. I'm sure that he would have got them when he came off of the ice.

I spent all day Monday and then again Tuesday a.m. fishing perch. Not a terrific bite, but enough to keep everyone interested. We caught more than enough for a fish fry on Monday night smile.gif

Cranker,

What can I say my friend...another great time at a great resort. Thanks for plowing the late season roads, without them we never would have had the chance to get in one last trip. It just doesn't get any better than this.

Fish on my friend smile.gif

Sunset.JPG

I read note on window. I knew he would stop by! I would of paid anyways! Nice image above.