• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Riverbend 03/10 & 03/11

First off ... thanks Bturck for the recommendation! There are a couple "chips" good for Coors Light waiting for you when you get up there. Both days we were fishing out by Knights & Bridges. Saturday we unfortunately were in one of the only slow houses ... it seems everyone around us had a decent day, where we just managed to scrape together enough fish for a fish-fry. We had 27 fow from the bottom of the hole. Kinda makes a guy humble! It wasn't that we couldn't get them to bite, we just didn't have any fish showing up on the Vex's. The ones that did show up we caught. The guides checked on us quite often, but couldn't really offer us a move because all their shacks were occupied. We were promised a move the next day (Sunday) when there were less fishermen. Big Al told us at the bar "You'll be in our best house from today tomorrow ... we want you on fish!" He wasn't pulling our legs, as Sunday had is in a new house, with a new attitude. Four of us caught around 40-50 sauger/'eyes, with a bonus even dozen of some of the meanest looking perch around. I'm always amazed at the build of LOW perch ... they look like offensive linemen! Sunday's shack was in 29 fow from the bottom of the hole. Best perch bait was with a Northland eye-dropper with a tail hooked fathead under a bobber about 4-6" off the bottom. Best overall bait had to be the plain red hook setup Davey was throwing at 'em. It had to be the color of the hook ... as I'll never admit Dave is that good of a fisherman. grin.gif Grant checked on us in the morning, and augered us a half dozen or so holes outside the house ... water depth ranged from 27' to 24', but the house itself had the hot bite (located just off the structure) All in all had a great time. I will caution the party-people out there ... 1 1/2 hour bomber ride in the morning when you don't feel the freshest is not the most fun a guy can have. We were glad we kept things at a pretty even keel every night. Bisquits & Gravy with a caramel roll for B-fast was a good suggestion as well ... I'll let you know when that wears off, should be sometime tomorrow I imagine. crazy.gif We had Riverbend cook our fish for dinner both nights, also well worth the price! Took some fish home to the wives from Sunday's fishing, but ate all the perch ourselves of course grin.gif. I wouldn't honestly recommend the trips out to the islands for everyone. If you have any physical issues with a bad back or knees, the trip out & back will take a lot out of you. If you just want to go fishing and get smashed every night, my hat's off to you on that ride as well. If you like a change of pace, good guides, great fishing, and drinking in moderation (OK, maybe a little past moderation), then the trip out there will be a ball. I understand they have houses just over Pine, so Riverbend can fill all needs! That was our last big ice-fishing trip of the year ... but we'll be back shortly on the Rainy River as soon as she lets us! Don't forget to tip the guides!

Smeds: I've been watching for this post since last night, when I checked again mid afternoon today and nothing had showed up I was starting to get scared.

Thanks for the "drink chips" I will definitley toast you and Dave as I partake next week. Much appreciated and really glad to hear you had a good time. Fishing, who can figure it out, 50ft one way or the other and life changes in a hurry. Big Al ain't he a character? he came into our house in January and fished with my wife and I for an hour, and told stories the whole time. Definitley a great bunch of folks up there who really do everything they can to make the whole trip a great time. You are correct on the bomber ride out to the Islands. It gets a little cramped with all the folks and the gear sitting on your thumbs for an hour or more, but it sure can be worth it. Did Charlie indicate whether the houses will still be that far out on 3/22? Although this time of year I've had some awfully good luck just over Pine in shallower water, so we'll have to see. So Dave is going to live with that red hook eh? Well if it ain't broke don't fix it. Did you pick up shiners on the way up, did they produce better than the fatties?

Again thanks for the Coors, and your report, Now i'm pumped again. Good luck and hang on. Bill

Drink them in good health Bill. Charlie didn't mention when the houses would start coming back in, but I never asked him either. The lake was starting to get some standing water all over Sunday eve .. I don't know how that will work in that equation. Didn't bother with the shiners, and it really didn't seem to matter that much. I think we caught over 90% of the fish we marked on the flashers. Big Al is a character for sure. We asked him about the shark story, and after a little prodding he got into the story, and started to get pretty animated. Came back out to see us on Sunday, and stayed about 1/2 hour but for a different reason. Davey is in charge of on-ice food, and Sunday we had quite the spread. Peeled & cleaned shrimp (about the size of a prawn) with home-made cocktail sauce, blue cheese stuffed olives, hard salami, provolone cheese, crackers, and some smoked salmon we caught in Algoma last year. We offered some to Al, and he declined at first ... but the sight of that spread on the top of our cooler pushed him over the edge. He stayed & ate for a good while, telling stories the whole time. Good guy, and good entertainer! Ask him about the food ... he's sure to remember. As far as Dave's red hooks ... I'm not above a little "pilfering" next time he's not looking! Davey's always caught each year in Canada with some of my hot-color twister tails attached to his jig ... even though he didn't have that color. I know he'll read these posts; keep your tackle box close next time I visit Cifrese! Good luck Bill, and post a report when you return.

Are you busy next week? I really could use a caterer. Sounds like I need to talk to Dave next week before I leave and see if he can pack me a Care Package blush.gif And people think this fishing is all fun, man its a lot of work, and you need to be prepared in case you get snowed in out there grin.gif Bill PS I will definitley be talking to Al about the food, I hope you gave him the recipes!!!

i am headin to Riverbend on thursday the 15th, cant wait to get up there. we had really good fishing last year at this time. I cant say enough about riverbend. and if u go up get the meal plan the food is great. Last year the red hook worked well for us too

beavflick: Ditto on your comments. Save a few fish for me, I'll be right behind you on 3/22. Good luck and hang on. Bill

Yepper it's a resort.....Link to their website at top of this page.