Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duffman

Snow and Ice Conditions for the Gunflint?

11 posts in this topic

What's it look like in the woods and on the ice after this warm spell?? Looking for any updates, especially towards the end of the Gunflint Trail. Thanks

The Mid-Trail area lakes have a lot of dark spots under the snow. I'm guessing that if there's any more grooming to do on the lakes it will be with the sled and not the groomer.

Gunflint....

What are you looking at for snow depth out in the woods in your neck of the trail? I plan on going where sleds aren't allowed sometime in the next couple weeks. Snow depth/slush factor on the lakes? Gotta try to use the short rods one more time before I break out the long ones.

We lost about half of our snow in the last 72 hours so there's anywhere from 7 to 17 inches right now but there's a 50% chance for Wednesday. I've got to go out and check the lake trails tomorrow. I'll let you know.

Fished the end of the Gunflint area this past weekend and conditions were ideal....for both walking and sledding. Encountered very little slush and the snow that is left has compacted and is pretty nice for walking on. That being said, if the warm weather continues, things may change.

I also fished mid gunflint arae this weekend. The lakes we were on were still in good shape as of sunday, but that is probably changing quickly. When we left sunday afternoon, the slush spots were starting to form on the lakes that had a heavier snow cover.

By the time we left gunflint on monday morning about 85% of the ice was gray with slush. In some places there was as much as 2 inches of water ontop of the ice. It'll just be a matter of time before the shorelines start opening up.

It's the most beautiful site I've seen in months. A slight breeze is blowing ripples on the water. Of course it just a few inches of surface melt but one can dream. 6 inches to a foot of snow in the woods.

Thanks for the continued updates, I've got two pokers in the fire right now. I'm either heading up to Canada chasing lakers and crappies or camping out in the BWCA for some late season trout next weekend. Hmmmmm...decisions, decisions. Driving my truck out on the ice, power auger, and a resort bed to sleep in vs hiking all my gear in, hand auger and sleeping in a tent. cool.gif

My brother and I just got back from and overnight in the BWCA fishing for lake trout off the Gunflint. The snow dissolved in front of our eyes yesterday and the runoff poured down any hole it found in the ice. The lakes are 70-80% glare ice with scattered patches of snow. It's in the process of freezing up and we had a long day of punching through to the water below. The wind pushed us along on the ice and we fished off the remaining snow crust islands. Couldn't believe how warm it was on the Gunflint yesterday. The trout were fairly cooperative. Had our best luck over a rock reef only 8 feet down. We could watch as the trout swam in and inspected our lures. It was pretty exciting. The portage trails were getting pretty slick where water ran or they were exposed to the sun. Sounds like it will get cool here shortly. If you go I'd bring ice cleats. It's slippery.

Thanks for the descriptive reply spivak, made it easy to picture what's going on up there. Due to an overbooked resort we are going camping, I should be setting up camp a week from now. Going to try and fool some brookies and lakers while we're there.