• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lowrance 520c/522c external vs. internal antenna?

bassman21

Question

I am upgrading to the 520 series and have been confused on weather an internal or external antenna is the best bet? I have a side console with a plexiglass shield and the GPS unit would be under somewhat, however I would like to have the flexibility to move between front and back and between my boat and a friends? Any suggestions or reccomendations would be great! Thank You

8 answers to this question

I was advised to stay away from the internal antenna due to this model being the same as last year's 334 which was known for it's internal antenna issues. I've heard that the problems were resolved with the 520 but that's just rumor until more get out in the user's hands and we know for sure.

If you do go with the Internal antenna make sure you do the up grades. I have a 334 and if i didnt do the up grades that Lowrance gives out it wouldnt still be on my boat. After doing the upgrades i havent had any problems. The up grades are free right off the website... Drop me an E mail if you need the links... wink.gif

Either Way... Lowrances is the way to go!!! cool.gif

Thats good to hear, I really want to go internal just so that I can move it around easier. As soon as gander gets the 522's in, I am going to pick one up

Yea that is the reason i got mine... I dont know how long i will have the boat i have know, so i wanted to make it easyer to move when i get my new boat. Let me know how it go's buddy!!! wink.gif

Quote:

Yea that is the reason i got mine... I dont know how long i will have the boat i have know, so i wanted to make it easyer to move when i get my new boat. Let me know how it go's buddy!!!
wink.gif

I just bought mine and am about to install it... Unless I have made a GROSS misunderstanding of the directions, mounting the External GPS puck is about as difficult as mounting a picture on your wall at home?

I went external after asking advice from several people...

Key points that were brought up to me.

#1... IA's tend to have a little bit longer of a delay, and have a little bit harder time finding 3 sats.

#2. Antenna's supposedly have a shorter life span than the rest of the unit... Meaning when the Antenna goes out, and I have to order a new one, or collect a warranty or what-have-you... With an internal Antenna, I'm out of a depth finder completely while I wait for the new unit or repair... Where as with an external, at least I still have the finder in my boat.

No one ever said mounting the antenna was hard there DWW!!!! HAHA In four years the units you are buy today are going to be so out dated, repairs or finding parts wont be easy for them. They also change the connectors after a few years so you have to buy a new unit to use the new stuff. Just my .02 shocked.gifwink.gif

Quote:

No one ever said mounting the antenna was hard there DWW!!!! HAHA In four years the units you are buy today are going to be so out dated, repairs or finding parts wont be easy for them. They also change the connectors after a few years so you have to buy a new unit to use the new stuff. Just my .02
shocked.gifwink.gif

I was commenting on how you said...

I dont know how long i will have the boat i have know, so i wanted to make it easyer to move when i get my new boat. Let me know how it go's buddy!!!

Which sounds like it was a factor in your decision...

And as far as I understand the mounting instructions that came with mine, it should be a non factor.