Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SomethingFishy*

How's the Ice holding up?

22 posts in this topic

How's The Ice Holdiing up in the area?

I was out Sunday and it was drivable the ice is good it's the water and the slush on the top of the ice. Next time I go out ill be bring the 4-wheeler and my best waterproof gear out there.

Thanks for the reply, I haven't been out locally for a while, I''' get the wheeler ready to go.

I was out yesterday evening near St. Cloud and it was slushy on top but the ice was still about 2' thick and in really good shape where I was. The shorelines might not be as good.

Nels

Was out towards rockville and towards palmer area Sunday, and the ice seemed to be in good shape. I am heading out towards Palmer again tonite and will post any news about the area. This upcoming "cooler" weather should be a bit of help towards the slush ponds out there....I didn't have any trouble as of Sunday with any spots being too wet, but we will find out later tonite i guess....

I sure as heck wouldn't mind that cool down.

i went out to pleasant tonight and it too was slushy but still good once you got past the access. the culvert was running like crazy.

Out on a local lake this afternoon in a car and was able to drive right out. There is still quite a bit of water and slush on the ice but not nearly as much as there was yesterday. It seems to be soaking through now. Ice was still quite think and I saw numerous full sized trucks driving around too.

Slush was there, but the ranger boots held up just fine last night. Only deep slush/water was where someone plowed a road. This was at Julia. The ice was holing up well. Caught a few and released a few. And a few were very tasty also.... grin.gif Hopefully this "cooler" night weather will hold up for a bit and not reck the ice too soon....have fun and bring boots....

This weekend was it for me! Lakes around western TC burbs are toast. Best spot I found close to Cloud was around Saint John's. Time to think warm....got the open water itch!

Quote:

This weekend was it for me! Lakes around western TC burbs are toast. Best spot I found close to Cloud was around Saint John's. Time to think warm....got the open water itch!

No need to tell me about the itch. Dan Sura, James Linder put a great show on today about precision trolling for walleyes. Then the last part of the show was about fishing light jigs for smallies. To much time to kill before all those openers.

I went by a small lake near St. Joe and saw 3 guys out ice fishing. The temp on my car thermometer said 75 degrees. There was about 5' of open water to the ice.

I'm sure once you are on the ice, it should be holding up o.k, but getting on after this weather?!! crazy.gif Be safe out there.

I threw in the towel. frown.gif

Yesterday was the last trip of the year, I was out on a little lake by Avon and first off I needed hip boot to get on then as I walked I could see the water going up and down in the holes.

The auger is summerized and I'm ready for open water!

I was out fishing Monday in the afternoon on a lake South of St Cloud. It was the first time I have ever ice fished in a short sleeved shirt and was sweating. With this warm weather it really shortened the best time of year to Pan Fish. Oh well, just have to wait for the water to warm up a little and start chasing them again.

Let it rain for 5 days straight, we need the moisture.

Good luck fishing!

We have ice out on Fish and Bass Lakes down here in Maple Grove already. That was yesterday. Amazing.

Lets go BLB!!! grin.gif

Talk to you later,

Corey Bechtold

Hey Corey,

Is that bass in your avatar from that super secret lake I took ya to? cool.gif

Man, I gotta get the boat cleaned and fired up. I am not ready!!!!! Sturgeon fishing in just a few weeks. I better get moving!

Super secret lake, yes, but it was in my boat and Bailey took the picture. laugh.gif That was a day when I had the kids out Panfishing and I made a few tosses at the end of the day and stuck that Bass.

I'd like to see what the floor of your boat looks like if you'd ever get it cleaned out. grin.gif

So, Sturgeon Excursion II huh?

Corey Bechtold

What? BLB has a boat grin.gif.... ohhh yeah one of those "multi" species rigs tongue.gifgrin.gif

Ice is going fast on Little Watab, north of St. Joe. It could be ice free by early next week. I think that the smaller lakes in the area should be ice free within a week.

Time to put the ice fishing gear away and get the open water rigs set up.

Nels

WAS NORTH OF MILLE LACS ON SUN. STILL WAS ABLE TO GET OUT WE WALKED BUT THERE WERE 3 WHEELERS OUT. STILL ABOUT 2 FT OF HARD ICE, I WAS SUPRISED MOMMA WASN'T TO THRILLED ABOUT ME GOIN, BUT I TOLD HER THAT IF IT DIDN'T LOOK GOOD I WOULDN'T GO OUT. I'M PRETTY CAREFUL ON WHAT I WALK ON. POUNDED THE CRAPPIES grin.gif