Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Team Otter

Selective Harvest?

7 posts in this topic

I spent a lot of time on the ice this past weekend and had several opportunities to talk with many "locals" about the bite, etc, etc. There is a genuine concern out there from many of these people that some of our area lakes are seeing too much pressure and/or multiple limits being taken off a given lake within a 24-hour period. Although we can not control who goes fishing and when, we can act on people breaking the law. I encourage all of you to turn in a person or person(s) who you know may be "double-dipping", fishing with 3 - 4 lines, invalid fishing/shelter licenses or anything of the like. I think we can all make a conscious effort to try and stop some of the wrong-doing that is happening right underneath our nose. Certainly there can be a separate discussion on what the Internet has done to the sport of fishing, positive and negative, but this is not the time or the place for that. This is simply a reminder to act as sportsmen or women every time you go outdoors. If you read this and are "double-dipping" or breaking the law in another fashion, shame on you. Perhaps this post will make you think about what you're doing. We have a future to protect and it starts with us.

Thank you!

Well said Jamison. Just like walleyes, it's important to release those big plate-sized 'gills and crappies. Keep a few of the mid-sized fish for a meal and let the big'ens go to carry on the genes. And yes, shame on anyone who goes out double-dipping. It's hard to imagine someone would do that, but it happens and there's no excuse for it. This is one of the more "firey" posts I've seen from you in a while. Did you witness something over the weekend?

Here is the number for the DNR Tip Line: Statewide toll-free: 1-800-652-9093 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You can remain anonymous.

Thanks for sharing Rugbyguy.

I didn't personally witness anything but I talked to enough people to know that it's happening and the concern is genuine. We need to act on these things daily, if necessary. There needs to be a message sent out to these people that it will not be tolerated. We can not reach everyone but we can certainly do our best to try.

Baby steps. One violater here, one violater there....soon enough the message will get across to those who chose to ignore the law, or refuse to take the responsibility of reading up on it.

That's a good start.