Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
minnowdangler71

fireline?

12 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of fireline for my spinning reels, does it still twist up like mono? has anyone tried the fireline crystal? any feedback would be great! thanks guys

I use the pink stuff in 6 lb test for jigging deep water on one of my ultralights. I love it. Haven't tried the crystal yet.

I could almost go as far as saying I'm madly in love with fireline crystal blush.gif

Well maybe not quite, but close. Switched to it last summer after using mono since forever, and don't see myself going back (except for the leader on a lindy rig.)

I do feel the crystal is better than the original as far as fraying goes. You really notice it ice fishing as the original builds up ice much more quickly when fishing outside.

No memory, no stretch, and the superior strength combined with smaller diameter are all big bonuses in my opinion. Summer or winter, I am now a fireline guy.

I like the Power Pro but a lot of guys like the crystal. I line the roundness of the PP.

how bout twist that is my main question?

I never have twist grin.gif.

I agree with Fish and Fowl about fireline crystal. It is great stuff. I switched my ice fishing stuff over to it as well and I really like it. No stretch so you can feel the bites better, and to twists and tangles in cold weather like mono tends to get. Try it, you won't be disappointed!!!!!!

I've never had a twist problem with Fireline either. There's something else going on if your Fireline is twisting. The only problem I've had is when using slip floats the stops will move around but I fixed that by spooling one reel with 14# and using that one for slip floats only. The same goes for Power- Pro, I've never had any twist problems and I like Power-Pro for Baitcasters.

Gunflint get rid of the Fireline on those slip bobber rods. No need for it on them and you will get your bobber stops to stay on if you use mono. Plus you have less visability with mono and thats what ya want when using such a stationary presentation.

I like Trilene XL on my bobber rods.

I'm going to disagree with you on this one. I like Fireline for slip bobbers because it floats on top and I get a better visual on hook setting. I do use a co-polymer leader of about 24 inches. This is for visibility issues and for snags. I also think that you get a better hookset with Fireline when your float is way out there. I do think mono has an advantage in windy conditions though, has it sinks a little and isn't blown around on the surface as much. Someday when I get 30 or 40 rods like you have I'll have one rigged for every occasion. wink.gif

LOL.

Not so loud there Mark. My wife still thinks I only have 5 or 6 rods. Ya like she only has 5 or 6 purses and shoes. crazy.gif

No twisting with Fireline here. But I only use it for my big lake rods. I will be using crystal this year.