Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eyeguy12

ice out

3 posts in this topic

does anyone know if the ice is melting during these warm days even when there is snow on the top of it? This would help me to know how long the ice is still thick enough to walk on.

It will be good enough to walk on until you need a small boat to get from shore to the ice.

Ice has not been melting under the snow, that is for sure, unless there is a crack nearby, then watch your step, its a good time to get a wet leg near shoreline. Watch the accesses and inlets too they are the first to go. My neighbor measured 30" on an area lake yesterday. Said the worst part was the gobs of glued-together slush balls under the snow from the melt - sticky and greasy under the truck tires, had to rock back-n-forth to get moving again a couple times, and 4HI was recommended. If you like to throw caution to the wind, I've seen folks throw out plywood on ladders to walk out to the ice after it pulls away from shore, and they stayed dry. But thats not something I like to do, myself, I spend the time getting the boat ready for when the ice goes out, because its not far away at that point.