• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Super Black.

I am sorry that your post had to turn into a fiasco like it did. There is nothing wrong with posting a good report on how your fishing trip went. Again I am terribly sorry that this had to happen and I hated to see you remove those pictures. I was just going to show my dad the pictures of those fish to get him all pumped up for some monster 'eyes!!!

Take Care Super Black, If you make it up to Rainy again this winter give me a shout and we'll get out and catch some fish.

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!!

Tearin, I was just fed up with the way the post was going, I can email you the pics if you'd like and you can show your dad. I probably won't post anymore just because of instances like this. To me this site has been wonderful up until now. I enjoyed it for the comradere of fishermen, but we all know someone has to prove a point all the time. Me, I just love to fish and like to see people catch fish even more. The information I get off the Rainy Lake forum has been why I've been catching more fish in Rainy Lake and I do appreciate every bit of advice I get. I've been fishing Rainy since I was nine and still remember that trip like it was yesterday. I'm 32 now and have kids that will be on Rainy until I'm gone and hopefully long after that. I will definetly let you know when I'll be up next, wish it was tomorrow, but will have to wait until ice out now. So good fishing and keep a tight line... SB

Hey SuperBlack,

I too want to thank you for your post. I really hated to see you feel bad about catching some smallies. I apologize for getting involved in the discussion, but was quite irritated after the ripping on you and fishmeister. Good Fishing!

Yea SB I liked the pictures too. Way down here we only get to dream about days like you had. We call it fishing for a reason. Some say two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left. Keep braggin' for us down south to enjoy.

Superblack,

That would be great if you could do that. I am heading up with him next sunday before I go back to school. Hopefully for some big 'eyes and a few crappies. If it is not too much trouble I can be reached through [email protected]

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!!!!!!

Superblack,

Thanks for posting the pictures. And it is too bad one person is giving you so much grief. I moved up here from Wisconsin in the fall. Got tired of all those long drives to my favorite lake. Email me if you would like to get together on your next trip up here.

[email protected]

About the only scientific evidence there is about smallmouths is that they do school up in the fall and stay near that spot all winter. Yes, they are easier to catch there but so are bluegills on the beds and walleyes at the base of dams in spring. As far as I know there are NO studies to show delayed mortality when bass are caught and released from these spots. They do not hibernate nor are they wasting away as they strike big lures with gusto and fight like crazy all the way to the top whether October or March. And they are very fat year around so must be eating something. I have yet to see a dead bass floating that hadn't been hook badly (in the gills).

My OPINION is that it is more harmful to the fish to drag them up from deep water in summer, not in winter. And perch, crappie and walleye give up the ghost way before a smallmouth.

In the bad ol days, I used to keep a limit of everything. One time we kept a bunch of bass and dragged them around on a stringer all day (no livewells back then). Got dark so put boat on trailer, threw the stringer in the boat, and drove back to our campsite about five minutes away. Bugs were bad so put fish back in water while we went and got fillet knives. Bugs got REALLY bad. Fish looked to be breathing, so said heck with it, will clean em in morning. Morning came and every bass was alive and well! Try that experiment with walleyes and see how many survive. My guess is all the bass you released in March will be looking for spawning sites come May.

It will be interesting to see the results of the walleye delayed mortality study from the MN side this past year. My guess is for every smallmouth killed by dragging it from deep water any time of year, there are 1,000 dead walleyes killed by pulling them from deep water during summer.

And I doubt folks are going to stop fishing for walleyes up here.

Don't worry about it Super Black. The same guy that was on your case posted the best time to fish smallies is when they are getting ready to spawn. Seems kind of hypocritical of him to me.

Thanks for the support gentlemen. Since everyone liked the pic here they are again, minus the report. I would just like to mention that this was and still should be an informative site on fishing. Thats why I joined.. Thanks again. SB

RainyLakeFebruary27-March2021.jpg

RainyLakeFebruary27-March2035.jpg

RainyLakeFebruary27-March2027.jpg

RainyLakeFebruary27-March2009.jpg

And how about some soft water pics to show the world class fishery Rainy is!!! Its just around the corner you know!!!

RainyAugust3-6018.jpg

RainyAugust3-6012.jpg

RainyAugust3-6007.jpg

RainyJune14-172006035.jpg

RainyJune14-172006015.jpg

RainyAugust3-6017.jpg

RainyJune14-172006007.jpg

I am new to the forum, but not fishing. Pictures like that are what i could only dream of posting...and it looks like something consistent. I would love to catch fish like that, but catching fish is all I need to be interested in the sport. But, not having a big "eye" like that under my belt yet, what do i know!!! I am pumped for fishing smallies this spring, but catching eyes like that could change the trip. Way north of the border i'm sure, is that in a certain location in particular, or just where the wind blows? Great pictures and good luck!

Super Black,

Love those pics you've shared from Rainy over time!

Please, continue to share reports and pictures...it helps my cravings knowing someone is up there enjoying the waters!

My wife and I made a week long fishing/camping trip last summer and it was incredible. We would love to return, however, this summer doesn't look like it will happen. frown.gif Catch some for me, would ya? grin.gif

Good stuff,SB!! Wouldn't let the guy get you down... I used to guide up there (miss the country in a major way!) and to be honest, if they were going to shut anything down it would be the tournament... but that's not happening! LOL Anyway, love the pictures! Making me home sick!