• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The stickleback minnow report!

Shack

stbk.jpg

The stickleback minnow! This is a topic I have not seen before brought up in this forum. This forgotten and tossed aside minnow is the reject of the minnow world. Fisherman cringe when they see that stickleback in their bucket. It is rare you will see this little minnow. Your local bait store tries very hard, so your bait bucket is not graced with the presents of this minnow. Some people say it is a sign of a poorly manicured batch of minnows. I my self think different. If my bait bucket happens upon a stickle back, I look at it as a sign of luck. For when the fishing is just plain slow, I throw on the stickle back for a change of pace. I have had good results and bad. The other night out crappie fishing I found my self in a rut. I had purchased a scup of crappie minnows and had a very rare occurrence of having four sticklebacks in the scup. I stabbed my stickleback with my hook and dropped it down. With in five minutes I had a tap and a tug on the tip of my rod. It was getting late and my fishing partner and I had to leave, so I did not get a full run at this ugley minnow. I do know in past I have found my self in the same predicament as above and have caught fish on them. I do not have much experience with this minnow, because most bait stores do such a good job of weeding them out. I do know they are very active on the hook and give a differnt presents to the fish. They also stay very active for a long period of time, longer than a crappie minnow will. I have done some research and found a little bit of info on this minnow. The stickleback minnow is about 2-3 inches sometimes 4 inches in length. Its habitat is cool shallow water. It lives in freshwater and saltwater. The male stickleback builds a nest made out of stems and held together by mucous threads. The females lay their eggs, and then when they hatch, the male guards the nest and the young. So if you have not tried this minnow and things are slow. Throw it on and report back on what happens. Also feel free to report on any of the other weird minnows you get in your bucket. I know I get weird minnows when I get a scup of rainbows, but do not know what the name of this minnow is.

May your minnow bucket be empty at he end of the day,

SHACKBASH