• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

$4.00 SCOOP OF CRAPPIE MINNOWS

Shack

I purchased a scoop of crappie minnows yesterday at Tails and Trails in Zimm town MN. He is right on the east side of 169,just south of zimmerman. The scoop was rather light and minnows very small. I do like the small one's for crappies this time of year. I had never been their before, so I started to talk to him. I gathered he does not care for the FM postings, he told me he only posts on OutDoor news. He was a nice guy, but did not have much to tell me about area lakes. I did notice after I left the minnows are covered in mites (black dots). I did get a bonus of four stickle backs and a couple dead minnows. I used the dead ones when I get low on minnows, I think. Well try his store and inform him you post on FM.

Good Luck,

SHACKBASH

I've never been there either. But you can't have enough baitshops in my opinion good ones at that.

what a rip! Good bait shops are few and far between these days.

I do tend to agree with a little of the concern about FM or other sites like these that take much of scouting out of it for some folks though. General info. is alright but under no circumstance will you get a detailed report out of me. That is just opening the door for the "meat fishermeen" to swoop in and take home limits on a daily basis.

SA/wdw

Sartell Angler,

I have told some of my buddies what to do and were to go and they still come back with nothing. I my self have had detailed instructions on were and what to do and I still came back with nothing. So hence the phrase "some catch'em and some do not". I post on this board to give my insight to others on what works for more me and what does not work for me. I would of been posting here long ago, but I just got my new laptop in earlier in Feb. The only thing you will never get out of me is my Metro area grouse haunts. A couple of guys and a good dog can clear out an area very quick. Also my secret little bodies of water in metro area. The same can be had in those area's. The local economy around Mille Lace depends on the "meat fisherman". If I can help any way, I feel it is my part as a Mille laces fisherman to do so. If we do not do this, fishing on Mille Laces and other larger bodies of water could go to the wayside and be forgotten in St. Paul. Frankie over in Chisago has been leading new and old fisherman to the "Hot Spot's" for years. Lakes like Chisago, South Center and others in that area are producing bigger and better fish all the time. I Think in some small way Frankie has had a small or big part in this with the DNR's treatment of these lakes. The more lic. Fisherman use a lake, the more the DNR will pay attention to that lake. Further more I do agree with the bait store comment. The mom and pop bait stores like Mrs. Rosso (sorry if I spelt wrong) at Ebner’s bait in Elk River are slowly fading away to large dept. stores or owners that do not care to help out there customers and give advise so they will come back. The guy at Tails and Trails would have got my future business if he would of just chatted with me. His store was not busy at all. I sure would like to see him have a better attitude towards FM, but that is his American right to have this view of FM. This was the nail in the coffin for me and provoked me to write my post. I know it sound cliché, but remember if we as fisherman work together and help each other it will go much further than just a good day of fishing. Peace out, got to go and get ready for Mille Laces trip on Sunday.

Good Luck fellow FM’ers,

SHACKBASH

P.S.

Remeber to support your local Bait store. Ebner's bait in Elk River and Frankies depend on use to do this. If any one cares, lets start this post to promote your favorite Bait store. Tell us some prices and good advise you have gotten.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

Well i agree i have felt like i have been ripped off by him too i go to Marvs Minnows in Zimmerman but i think the name changed they have always been one of my favorite bait stores. If you want to know how to get to that bait store let me know

you do raise several valid points shackbash and I may have been hasty in my reply.

I agree that there are definitely bait shops that are far better than others, especially when it comes to general knowledge and quality customer service. The problem around here is that not only are there too few GOOD bait stores, there aren't even many DECENT or even BAD ones where at least you could pick up a scoop of crappie minnows without driving across town.

You're report theory rings true on bigger bodies of water, but around here on many of the lakes it doesn't take long for the word to spread and before long the quality of the fishing drops bigtime. Now, we're not talking about tourism or keeping resorts in business on these lakes--we're talking about people telling everyone and their brother about the crappies they've been limiting out on and before long there are 1000 people taking home fish regularly.

If I fished the big-name lakes more often I would be more apt to share more for specifics, but given the lakes I fish I'll likely stick to just giving the name of the lake or maybe less. To each his own though.

Good luck fishing.

~SA/wdw

yeah i live near there and I have opted to go other places for bait......Ace in Princeton actually has great bait and prices......I buy my minnows there or Oakwood Taxidermy (Marvs Minnows) but since they changed ownership I haven't enjoyed stopping in as much. The owner of Tails and Trails can be a nice guy but usally he is short on words and if they are target shooting in the archery range it can be a pain to get service!!! but he does have a nice selection of lures and all the archery hunting equipment so I have just learned to purchase certain items and not bait.....to each his own......good luck!!