Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dw4eyes

ice thickness

9 posts in this topic

Me and some buddies are going to LOTW next thursday and we were wondering about ice thickness and snow/water on the ice. Just want to know if snowmobiles are the way to go. We are staying at Adreans and want to get to Garden Island. We were there last year at this time and did real well. Thanks for any info

i was up in the area of Knight and Bridges Island 3 weeks ago and there was 4' of ice. Sleds were the only way to go at that time. This warm weather will most likely softent things up a bit. I'm sure some of the local folks, Fisky, Widetrack will jump in here with some helpful info as well. Ice thickness should not be a problem. There was one large pressure ridge apprx 2/3 of the way up, but it was well marked for crossing. Good luck and hang on. Bill

Thanks. I was just wondering about the ice thickness for my auger extention or two. I heard there was about 45" of ice. I measured my auger with my 12" extention and I have 50". I sould be ok then. I'm hoping this warm weather doesn't put to much water on the ice. I've heard of guys fishing in 6 to 8 inches of water on the ice. that wouldn't be to much fun.

It can definitley get a little bit wet this time of year, at least until some off the run off occurrs. You will definitley need that extension. Bill

I had the sled out on Saturday & Sunday, it seemed like the way to go. Based on the weather I think that your travels should be okay on Thursday. Water on the ice shouldn't be an issue. Bring the auger extension though, ice is 40"+.

Going up to Adrains also on the 15th and hope to use our sleds to get around on the lake. Called up to Oak Island sunday and they said it should be fine for this coming weekend. Have no real plan on where to start, any ideas?

We go out to garden island and do good out there. It is along ways out but worth the trip.

Hey dw4eyes, have you heard how the trails are for sled travel. Will have 5 sleds going so I hope it works out.

DJH, Sounds like we will be ok with sleds up there this weekend. There are 7 guys going up this weekend. 4 of them should be there about now (12 noon). We will have 7 sleds up there. I'm heading up there tommorrow at noon. Wish I was there allready. Hopfully the guys up there will call me tonight and let me know how conditions are and then I will report it.