Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
budiva

how to make fish look bigger

8 posts in this topic

Sometimes after taking pictures of people holding fish, one picture will stand out as really making the fish look bigger then it actually was. The attached picture is my father in-law holding a 13-15 pound northern, but in the photo it looks like a 20. Does anyone have advise on different angles stances etc. to hold fish (beyond the old stand-by of extending your arms out), or do I just need to learn how to catch bigger fish? web page

Photoshop? grin.gif

You need to talk to Matt J. ! He is the king of this art form!! wink.gif

I think looking through "Beer Goggles" helps out a bunch in this area. blush.gifgrin.gif

beer goggles always made my "catches" looks smaller confused.gif

How to make a fish look bigger??

- Hide your hands. Big ole fingers wrapping around a fish are a clue to the size of the fish.

- Hold the fish out away from your body.

- Sometimes camera angle helps. Shooting from a lower camera angle. I think photos should be taken on an even level with the subject, maybe lower.

- Another general photo tip is sunlight. The photo of that pike is all in shadow. It would have been nice to turn the boat around, or have the angler & photographer switch places.

Got a double of 27"ers this year on Mille Lacs, The one my buddy, a guide on mille lacs who takes a lot of pictures with fish, is holding looks way bigger than the one I am holding. we both are holding the fish away from our bodies, but he is holidng his more vertical and has the dorsal tilted slightly towards camera. I know I will do the same next time I am getting my pict taken

-use the wide angle view from a camera (i.e. if your camera has zoom it should be zoomed all the way out) and then walk forward until the person frame almost completely in the photo.

-do not face them into sun. they will squint and it will be a poor photo. rather, face them away from the sun and turn on your flash to fill the shadows.

-hold the fish away from the body

-minimize exposed fingers etc

-hold the fish so that it from the camera's perspective it covers up your arms for the most part.

-actually have a big fish :-)