Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deep_Sinker

Ice near the Lester

82 posts in this topic

Anyone know how the ice is holding up off of the lester/brighton beach area? Is it still walkable? Any recent reports from out there?

Yes it is great we are on are way there as we speak 16 inches ICE.

Thanks Tom! I am going to give it a try this weekend. Let me know how you do.

Wonder how it'll hold up with mid 40's all weekend. blush.gif

Just got home and the ice is still in great shape but not much for fish saw a few loopers. I whent out to 130 ft and tryed for some lakers a lot of lookers hooked one and lost it. I will be out tomorrow as well.

Quote:

Just got home and the ice is still in great shape but not much for fish saw a few loopers. I whent out to 130 ft and tryed for some lakers a lot of lookers hooked one and lost it. I will be out tomorrow as well.

Shouldnt you be plowing or getting the boat ready grin.gif

Plowing is done for the year and the boat is ready? Hope the fish are ready to play grin.gif.

might be heading up that way on saturday ( or mille lacs ) was wondering if you will think the ice will hold up until saturday or will this warm weather move things around....

thanks

I've heard rumor the ice breaker will be out this week and coal shipments will start by the end of this week. If that happens, I can't imagine the ice will stick to shore very long. We've been very fortunate this year with the ice actually locked in shore to shore in our bay.

I heard that they will start busting it up next week as well.

so we could be shore fishing this weekend then?

My buddy was up there yesterday, called me on the way there to rub it in that he was going to the north shore fishing. I felt that since I wasn't on spring break and he was, I wouldn't tell him about the ice.

HA... that's kind of mean. But very funny. I think this weekend maybe wishfull thinking for the long poles. But I know that I am one that is wishing for streams to be flowing. See you guys up there soon. By the way mille lacs doesn't sound to easy to fish right now either. rought time of the year.

Looking at the schedule on the maritime web site this morning, the Mesabi Miner is due to leave on 3/15. I would expect the Alder to be out busting ice anytime now.

I believe the last nites news said the Alder was to begin breaking ice in the twin ports this week and head to Thunder Bay next week to help open their port

Randoid

I will keep checking back, so keep this updated if you could please. We will fish the lester or the french or is it chub creek? stoney point has never been good, but we will drive to where ever we need to.

Thanks

I don't think the ice along shore will be out soon even though the cutter(s) (I read that the Biscanye Bay is coming to assist later in the week) will be out. The Alder will only break a channel from the harbor to open water in the shipping lane. One channel from each entry that is. Mother Nature will have to do the rest.

I need to update/correct myself...the Alder is out of commish with engine troubs...the Biscayne Bay will be busting ice starting Thursday.

During lunch today, I saw the cutter from Michigan breaking ice in the bay today. It looked like that 15-18 inch thick ice wasn't even slowing her down! Ice fishing on the big lake may be over... frown.gif I sure hope it isn't another 12 years for another ice over like we had this year!

Don't be too sad that it's over... Just means we can get to the open-water fishing a little sooner! grin.gif

That cutter was hauling butt through that ice. She reported 24 to 30 inches in places.

How long does that cutter spend busting ice? Just today or will they be doing it for a few days?

They will be out every day for awhile. The ICE must go, it was fun now go so we can get the Boats out and have some fun grin.gif

I am with you Tom, it was fun for awhile, but its time to start trolling. I was thinking we could all pitch in a few bucks for the ice breaker. maybe he would make some passes up and down the point. LOL!! good luck Fishing.

Tom,

I thinking about coming up on Monday to get my boat. Are they supposed to be still out there? If so I might take cruise in town to see that or are they to far out to see? If everything works out will you be around? If so I'll swing in and say hi.

I here ya, the ICE rods are done for me. The new line is going on the reals the looper boat is ready. I must get in the Boat soon, I feel lost not being in the Boat and covering water. So Fish look out The hook's are sharp.