• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

What are my Spearing Buddies Doing Now?

bassNspear

Hey all,

I know that the season is over, and its kinda tuff to look at the lakes, and understand that there is so much ice out there to be out there still.

But with the laws, its what we have to do and follow by. As you all know, i always spear out of a portable fishhouse, which means i have to put everything away. I cleaned up the house, put all the gear away, and look at it everyday that i come home. LOL

I did find stuff that i didnt even know that i had. But there is always going to be things to do. I am starting to think of different things for the next season. I want to get somethign going for the next year.

I have talked to alot of people that i have taken out this last year, and they are looking at buying stuff for the next year. I have talked to a few people, and they have already bought everything that they are going to need for the next year. Its a great feeling to know that when i have taken them out and shown them what the sport is all about, they like it so much, that they are getting into it for myselfs.

So on that note, what has everyone else been up to since the season is over?

I've got all my spearing stuff put away too. I am still making a few decoys though. Its nice to hear that more people are getting into spearing.

All my spearing stuff is in my rafters of my garage until next year. Just waiting for the lakes to unfreeze now so I can take out the boat.

We did our decoy show in Alex, now I'm like the rest, doing some pan fishing and waiting for open water. First the fly rod and then the boat!!! cool.gif

The spearing stuff is all put away until next year sadly but there is still some good ice out there to perch and panfish. Trying to get a last few trips in before the seasons ends.

I know that "Earlyriser" is up on Red with his brothers chasing a few crappies this weekend. I'm going to the MDAA dinner tonight. Anyone else going?

I was going to try and get there, but im not going to make it. Makes up mad, but what can i do. Ill hit the next one.

Looked for you at the banquet, found Stiff which was a good thing since I won a pull behind fishhouse and didn't have a hitch with me and he let me use his. Not bad from a guy I'd never met before! Don't have a place to park the house so I dropped it off where I work, backing it into a dumpster and poking a hole through it! The wife will be so pleased! Haven't had the thing for 24 hours and it's already damaged. Gotta find a way to make the spear hole bigger too--maybe I can drop it on something...

We are going up to visit friends and ice fish for walleye/pike/perch on the border lakes near Grand Marais/Hovland at the beginning of April. Then its off to a few decoy shows, including the Perham Gathering on the 21st. After that we will fish some early season panfish around the metro before heading to Bemidji for the walleye opener. The vegetable garden will be drying out and a lot of effort will be put into getting that ready. As soon as the plants are really getting going we will collect some big carp by spear and bow for fertilizer. Then it's some summer fishing trips, a family BWCA trip, more gardening, berry picking, canning, a few home projects and a cabin project to round out the summer. Then before we know it, hunting/trapping and the spearing season will be upon us again. Thank God that it is all good!

The fishing was fun up at Red. We caught two crappie and more than a few walleye - plus good fellowship with family. I did get a chance to meet Jon Petrowske, from whom we rented the house. We had very comfortable accomodations and great service from friendly folks who know what they are doing.

I heard from Tony that the MDAA banquet was very nice. Congratulations to all the prize winners. For those who are not members, you should really sign up. The newspaper for March just happened to be waiting for me when I got back home from Red this afternoon, which was nice. Like I said before, we are lucky to have such dedicated and talented people involved with our keeping our MDAA organization running.

In the off season I have few decoys that need some touch up paint after some swelling/cracking and being chewed on by northerns. I will do a few minor repairs and modifications to the portables. The spears are oiled, touched up for sharpness and hung up until next season.

• 2 weeks later...

My otter houses have some normal wear and tear including a small hole from the stove, bent poles, etc.

My 4X8 Canvas Craft house has a wood base that needs some touch up paint and caulking around the joints. Last summer I increased the hole size from 2X3 to about 3X4. The canvas is going on its third season and looks pretty good. I think it is a really good product.

I am thinking about building a permanent for those really windy days!

sounds like you have a little work to do.

I looked at all my houses before i placed them in the basement. I took the carpet out of one of them, and replaced it. I have placed carpet in my mankato house and also in my clam, and i am glad i have, becuase it allows myself to take off the boots, and relax, knowing the heat will stick in the house alot more, becuase of the carpet on the floor, and not just the wood or plastic.

Other then that, my houses are waiting for the season to start for next year.

still hardwater panfishing and slowly getting ready for open water. and yes my spearing gear is put away and ready for dec 1 2007.

• 1 month later...

Well boys,

I went out and got a few more thigns for next year off a clearence rack. Im not sure if im going to use them, becuase im a huge fan of the decoys that i use, but i got a few different ones.

Whats everyone else doing besides getting the boat ready?

Were any of you folks at the decoy show in Perham? Check out the National Fish Decoy Association website for some photographs. They should be up soon.

There was a film crew there filming some footage for a documentary on the topic of spearing and traditions behind the sport. Some of the carvers took the crew out spearing during the season for some shots of the action.

I was there on Saturday for a while. It's amazing how real some of the decoys look. That would be fun to watch the documentary when it is done.

I was also there. (Early Riser and I shared the trip up) It was my first time attending the show and I was really impressed with the talent we have in this state! Amazing!

It was very cool to see some of these nationally recognized guys and to see that more the most part they are just "regular guys". Granted - very talented guys with a lot of experience, but also, very unassuming.

I bought a few decoys - but one in particular - a 14 inch red and white made by Dennis Bertram. The one I got has huge glass eyes bigger than in the attached pic. I hung it in the kitchen and I can't wait to put it in the water next December. I'm not sure what it is about this decoy that I like so much, but I know I do...

I think partly because they swim really slowly and dramatically, partly because Dennis was really proud of this particular decoy, and partly because I just came to like Dennis.

This past weekend I was up working on and cleaning up around "deer camp". I came across some old barn timbers of virgin white pine that I set aside as raw materials for some efforts on my own decoys. We'll have to see if that comes to pass or not..

bertramfish2.jpg

I like the idea of carpet on the floor as my feet always get cold!! I'll have to remember that for next season....thanks for the idea Bass N Spear!

Nice decoy Stiff.

Its almost bass season so i havent even thought or talked about spearing for a few mouths!!! smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Theres nothing better than sitting in my old 16 foot Nadin with my son and granddaughter catching pike on a sucker minnow 3 feet under a bobber,watching the smiles and grins when they hookup!! Second best hearing the MMMMGOOD stuff Gumpa while eating them that evening!!! cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

The best part about what you wrote, is that you have a understanding of what it takes to make kids happy on the water, and to understand that it does make a difference that they are there.

Also, if you cook them the right way, they will turn out awesome.

Glad you had some success.

• 2 months later...

Whats everyone up to?

Who has all made some changes over the years. I just got done replace the floor in my old mankato house that i pushed off all summer. It was kind of a job, but it gave me somethign to do over the course of the summer when i wasnt bass fishing.

Anyone else doing some work?

I have been thinking about building a permanent 4X6 house for those real windy days. I know basic carpentry, but would like to hear about considerations regarding durability without adding too much weight.

I found an old galvanized minnow bucket at a garage sale for a buck. I think it could be incorporated into a good system for keeeping a few decoy minnows alive under the ice for a few nights.

I am really looking forward to fall hunting and spearing seasons after all this heat!

Its always fun to be able to get out there and enjoy the winters.

I love it out there when the snow is flying.

I hope we get some good cold weather early this year so the ice is good and stronge and the lakes clean up faster!! smile.gif

It would be nice. Im hopping that we get a TON of snow, to help the water levels on the lakes come spring.