Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pintocrazy

Ice thickness on Upper red?

9 posts in this topic

Wondering if anybody has an idea on how thick the ice is on Upper Red right now?

Thanks

I was up this past Sunday and as luck would have it I forgot to take my extention. Thank god I didn't need it but my back sure wishes I did. I was all the way down to the ice without it. My advise....Pack extention the night before!!

LCC

was up monday thru wednesday. had 37 inches 2.8 miles out of hillmans

had 39-40" 5 miles out of Hillman's last weekend...

had 1 extension last wknd and motor was hitting the ice as it broke thru-8 miles out.

Quote:

had 1 extension last wknd and motor was hitting the ice as it broke thru-8 miles out.

Yep,

Out there no extention meant no fishing. Ice depth ran 45-48" in the areas we fished this weekend.

We were fishing near a heave and it took two 12 inch extentions to get through in some areas

Thats another reason I like my Nils auger. The 48 inch shaft can go through about anything. smile.gif

Quote:

Thats another reason I like my Nils auger. The 48 inch shaft can go through about anything.
smile.gif

I needed every inch of that 48" shaft at times. laugh.gif