Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Badger_55

Motor Guide or Minnkota Bow Mounts?

9 posts in this topic

Just bought a nice used boat last week and I am now on the market for a bow mount trolling motor. It came with a big transom mount but I know that I would much prefer fishing from the bow and the type of fishing I would do would benefit from the bow position.

What are the benefits of Motor Guide?

What are the benefits of the Minnkota?

I know a lot of people who have Minnkotas, my boat is a 17' Alumacraft Tourny Pro, would like to believe a 55lb thrust would do but some people tell me to go bigger, that means 24 volts, is that a lot more messing around with that?

Any tips on picking the right trolling motor for a 17' tourny pro with a 60hp yamaha on the back would be greatly appreciated.

Quote:

would like to believe a 55lb thrust would do but some people tell me to go bigger

You always see guys in these trolling motor threads that wish thay went bigger than they did, never smaller. That's a big reason I went with a 24v/70lb thrust bow mount on my 16.5' Alumacraft. Although a 55lb will work just fine in most conditions.

Yup, I'm in the same "boat" only 1 size bigger( 20' fiberglass bay boat)...trying to decide between the 24 volt/70 lb. and going to the 36 volt/101 lbs. Guess where I expect to end up?

Minnkota Maxxum 74# thrust.....Bought one motorguide, never again....

Minnkotas are built for Minnesota with all the weeds and stuff like that!!! They go throw stuff a lot better then a Motor Guide. I also like the foot petals a lot better then the motor guides!!!!

Never had a Minnkota and MotorGuide took care of me really well (as in replaced it for free) when my wireless foot pedal went haywire well past the warranty period.

If you can find the 65lb thrust minn kota, it would be perfect for you. If not, the 70 will work, and 24 volt wiring isn't that much of a hassle. I would take the minn kota over motorguide, I just have had better luck with them.

Everyone has different needs (or wants) in a motor but I figure if the 55 won't handle the conditions for my 17.5' Smokercraft, I probably dont need to be there. Never really needed more power & I fish the Rainy River & LOW about 100 days per year.

The foot controls give me trouble but they see a lot of extreme weather in my boat and a shot of WD-40 usually takes care of it.

The Auto-Pilot feature is what keeps me true to MinnKota! Slipping current in the Rainy would be a real challenge without it.

I've owned 2 Motorguides...both have done very well...I use them a ton for slop fishing Bass and they both have gone through some of the thickest weeds.