Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
computermann

Whitefish/Tulipee

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone fish area lakes for whitefish through the ice?

The only lakes in the area that have white fish ,that I know of are Big Turtle and Big Ballclub maybe others, most lakes have tulipees that you will catch right with the crappies, they are usually higher up from bottom.

I've picked up one or two over the past few years on Pokegama - usually when I'm targeting crappie.

I stumbled into a decent bite just this past week out there, actually. I've been fishing Windigo Arm, over about 30 feet of water. They come through about 15-20 feet below the ice and seem to prefer the good ol' time tullibee rig: a daredevil spoon tied upside-down (treble removed), with about 14 inches of mono tied to the end - with a small panfish jig tipped w/ a waxie. Jig the heck out of it. Color hasn't really mattered.

They're averaging around 15-16 inches - perfect smokers.

I've lived in the GR area for about 5 years and it has always surprised me that there aren't many people who target them. Or maybe the few folks that do are really protective of their spots.

I got into some on Sherry's arm this past weekend. Sure was nice out there on the ice. I have always been hesitant to eat them since they smell so awful. You say they're good though...true?

I just saw your post in the recipe section and see that you were pleased with the smoking results. Great! I'm excited to try it next time. They are such a beautiful fish, it would be great to enjoy them on the table, too.

Smoked, they taste every bit as good as salmon. I've never had them any other way. They are a stinky fish to catch though.