• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Does anybody know the dates for this tourney and when registration is? Also wondering what weights have won it in the past? Bring on the open water grin.gif Thanks for any info

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Northlander

• SKIPPERS KID

• ripstick

• cranken21

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Skipper's Kid AKC Tom Pfister can fill you in on the Grand Slam.

Thanks ST, I fished it a few years ago and it was the second weekend after opener. Had a blast, but had to learn more about the big lake before I enterd again! Thanks

hawgeye... The Grand Slam Walleye will be may 19th and 20th. They will be out in two weeks at bait shops. The weights well they have been stable to win you will have to stay at or above 13lbs per day to get payed? Well this is what it has been in the past but the river is always changing the team that adapts to the change will be out in front Just ask northlander he has been there! Just when you got it going on today it is not there tomorrow they moved so you have to put the game in your favor and adapt to the changes. Weather, Hi water muddy water, rain, sun and wind. So what happened yesterday might not work today. I do now this it is the best two day event in Northern MN, I now some will chime in and attest that. There are a lot of good river rats out on the river. It sure is fun to see the fish they catch and they all go back alive. I hope this helps, I was going to post this when I mailed the stuff out but thanks for the head start grin.gif.

Thanks Tom. Yeah we had a blast a few years ago. I was shocked at how many boats headed out to the big Lake the year we fished it. Can't wait and thanks again

Hawgeye, This is a great tournament, and Tom does a great job of running it. The best thing about it is its on the St.louis river, so it can be anyones game out there. That time of year the fish can be any where, thats what makes this tournament so fun. So tell all your friends,and if you are reading this and you have not fished it, you should give it a try.

D. Nelson.

OOPS sorry MR. Nelson!!!!! this Boat is one to look out for he and his ranger now the river very well. His team nows all about being consistent for two days. Well after a long winter I can not wait till the boats leave the start as well. Hope you guy's tell all your fishing buddy's about this one smile.gif.

Grand Salm is a great tourney! Very well run and its very affordable for a 2 day tourney. Pay out is also nice.

Tom is right on the need to be consistant. The last 2 years we were in either 3rd or 4th after day 1 and finished 9th both years. frown.gif Being a river the fishing changes a lot, sometimes daily.

At 1st I didnt like the time of year but it sure evens out the playing field. Dont matter if you have a 21' boat or a 16'er. As a matter of fact I think the smaller boats have been doing better the last few years.

Hope to see a bunch of FMers there.

OOP'S again steve NOW's the river very well I think he and darren are close but one team may take the money $$$$ who will it be???

All time come back? You mean the old worst to 1st? No way! Fish have to be alive in the Grand Slam. grin.gif

Easy there killer!(pun intended) frown.gif

We put together a methodical last place in order to walk away with something. Had to after the live well crapped the first day. Caught our 15" and headed to hog grounds on the big lake. The well will be in rip roaring status for this year, and if you are interested in a little friendly wager let me know! I've already got one with Drew.

Ok but your going to be in hot water with the better half when you come home broke and shirtless. Drew can have your boat, Ill take the motor. grin.gif

Seriously though I cant wait to be fishing in the boat again. The Grand Slam is a great way to learn how to fish the river.

I was driving over the Loui today and thinking about the Grand Slam....Can't wait ! Will the tourney be won on the lake?(Cheffrey) In the weeds? Spirit Lake?(Skorich)Above the 23 bridge?(Northlander)Handlining ?(Crankin 21) Who knows.... It seems every year it's won in a different location.Last year, before take off on the first morning, I was looking around thinking "man those guys can win and so can those etc". There are some great sticks that fish this tourney!Cheffery ... lookin forward to the extra excitement of a side bet! Crankin 21 did you get another new boat? Wow... I'm in the wrong buisness!

Watch out for the Roost!

Drew

Drew, nice to see you come out of the woodwork. Maybe instead of a side bet we could get a pool going with it? smirk.gif That is, if you remember what the bet was!

This year after I pre fish and find them, I'm not even going to go back.....that was the downfall last year, who would have thunk a 26" & a 28" within 15 minutes and

28.jpg scoot off to another spot only to come back 2 days later and go broke on it. Thats the river for ya! Totally unpredictable. crazy.gif

Side bet's???? well glad you guys are getting ready it should be a good turn out it would be great to see more BOAT'S well it will be fun sharpen those hooks and get ready for the big one that got away smile.gif. Drew nice to see you back again hope you had a great winter and good fishing hope all is well with you and you are still fishing often as you can. PS. Good fishing on your next outing take care.

ya 2 days is a month on the river. Especially early in the season.

As far as Im concerned once walleyes are over we can get 90 degree days and high winds til all the ice is gone.

Well steve you must adapt to the weather. You have been down this road be-for play your game and do what you now and you will be there. I wish every one good fishing, and a safe opener and good fishing to all smile.gif

Drew,same rig as last year. You are wright when you say alot of good sticks fishing this tournament. Thats what makes it exciting. We all know the river is filled with Walleyes, the challange is finding the wright ones to geter-done. Good luck, and lets hope for good weather.

• 2 weeks later...

I am thinking about entering this, but do you guys really want to see a $400 boat (when the tank is full) win it all? As long as it does not fall on muskie opener, I think I am in.

I would love to see your boat win. The past few years the bigger fancy boats havent been doing as well as the smaller boats. Maybe I need to run my boat this year and leave Ranger Randy's in the lot. grin.gif

As long as your boat is safe go for it. If you dont fish the river a lot make sure you pre fish at least the 2 days before the tourney. If not follow the Big Black 21' Ranger with twin Yamahas around. When you finally catch up to him make sure to do a few circles around him. He loves that "walleye chop". grin.gif Aint that right Crankin?

Thats right Steve, the more chop the better. But if you really want to get into the walleyes, go all the way up river and pick out the tallest guy you can find,and drop anchor right next to him he will let you in on all his secrets. grin.gifgrin.gif

In years past I may wonder a little farther up river than some guys but my gut tells me this year is going to be a down river battle. Maybe even the lake. Only time and some gas money will tel.

Crankin we are thinking about going out of 2 harbors tomorrow. Ill let ya know how we do.

Northlander, just a quick post before I head to the airport. My brother got a 18 footer out of the Bark Bay landing on the South Shore yesterday going 2 for 4 on coho's and browns. Worth a shot. See ya in a week!

Ya, let me know Steve. The Boat comes home today!! I will be out on Sunday if shes open. As for the GS, I think you may be right, down river may be the ticket, but only time will tell.

Tom!

Please send me a poster for the Grand Slam. Im interested in it.

811 E Skyline PKWY

Duluth, MN 55805

I can't wait to fish the grand slam again. Hopefully we do a bit better this year.

Woodie go to the website. grandslamwalleye Fish it. Its a blast and great competition. Lots of good river sticks in this one and its cheap for a 2 day contest.

Quick you cant do any worse as long as you have at least 1 fish live. blush.gifgrin.gif

Maybe if cheffrey can get off the pot and grab his rod this year! tongue.gif