Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StrosLit31

Heading up tomorrow night and chubby darter?

5 posts in this topic

Well i think i finally have the itch... We are heading up tomorrow and fishing out of Wigwam Friday and Sat. I think i have read almost every post in here the last couple of days, and it sounds like any type of red glow jig or buckshot is doing well. but i still have two questions:

What is the difference between a fat head and a Chub? are these a minnow or bait fish that is more freq. in the area?

The second is i have had a cubby darter for a few years, and haven't had a great deal of success, but some of that is do to lack of jigging constantly, i have a permanant house with rattle reels and a auto jigger and tend to relax more than jig a rod constantly. So is worth trying a chubby darter up there? i have a bet going with the rest of the group that the chubby darter will come though other wise i have to retire it from the fishing arsenel. They seem to belive in live bait summer or winter. which i know is not true.

Depending on where you go fishing and how the bite is.. I was up over the weekend of the 26th, by pine.. the bite was very hard and most fish were caught on dead sticking or tip ups. A chubby darter would work good in that situation if you attach a minnow head to one of the hooks. Just the darter will not get you much. Just pinch off a chunk of minnow and give it a jig now and again. Ya just never know.. I have had good luck with them in the past.

good luck.

Last weekend when I had a fish on the vexilar that would not come off the bottom I would put on a orange and white glow Chubby Darter and it sure got them excited. I would jig it constantly and the fish would come off the bottom and smack it, I really enjoyed the aggressive bite. I did use a whole minnow and it looked kind of funny but it worked.

I think you will have to retire the chubby after this weekend. grin.gif

well thanks for the info guys. I will give the chubby darter a chance this weekend anyway. Looks like the weather is going to be nice, upper 30's

hopefully the biggins start biting....