Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishinggal

hows fishing on lake zumbrota (ponderosa campground)

5 posts in this topic

Was wondering how fishing was on lake zumbrota?I hear theres lots of traffic on the lake and hard to fish,Im thinking about getting a seasonal campsite at the ponderosa(sp)but havent heard to many good things about fishing there.We like pan fish best but kids enjoy catching any kind of fish.Thanks.

Lake Zumbro is a darn good fishery. Especially in the spring for crappies! grin.gif

From what I have noticed, Ponderosa is a real clean and well run campground. The beach is a little on the small side though, located at the end of the lagoon where the public access is.

The lake can get busy on weekends but usually in the early mornings it's pretty peacefull.

I would care to say its a good crappie, gill, and bass lake. With the occasional muskie/northern mixed in. Oh and some channel cats too.

Yep, I agree with Dan. It's arguably the best fishery in SE MN for panfish. It's not known to be the best lake in terms of # of fish caught but if your looking for keeper size fish, its got those. You can certainly catch numbers of fish there as well if you go looking for them.

In addition to what Dan said, you can get on some fast action Silver Bass bites, and it's not uncommon to catch plate size bluegills and crappies out of Lake Zumbro.

Good Luck

Ponderosa campground is a great lil campsite if you're looking for some thing close to home!!! Most of the people there are really friendly. My g/f's mom &dad had a capmer out there for a couple years, It was a blast!!! I don't normally go out there for the pannies,...but alot of guys at work do,..and like Tyler h said,..there are some good size ones in there!!!

The Pondy, is a nice campground, everyone I've met out there over the years has been really nice. I know people who complain about the manager's of the park but I've personally never had a problem and think that maybe the ones that have had runins with the management maybe deserved to be in trouble. The lake does see tons of recreational traffic but the fishing can be rewarding once you get a handle on the lake.