Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HGS 24

info on this lake

11 posts in this topic

I did some research this winter on a lake called moon lake near brandon. I heard the acces was steep. Does anyone have any info on the access or more interestingly the lake. I am looking for a bass lake on opener that doesn't have rec traffic on it thanks.

I've given up on this lake for bass. It looks great, lots of weeds and wood, but every time I have been there it is mostly small fish. I would try another lake.

I just moved to the area this past fall and did a little bit of fishing on this lake in sept/oct. The access is fine. It is a little steep but you shouldn't have any problems. Like prairie said, the lake looks like bass heaven. Deep healthy weeds, irregular weedlines, shallow mats, plenty of wood, sharp drops, bays, not too many docks, a few rocks. The lake is kind of creepy looking too. In the past the water level rose several feet and there are a handful of cabins that are either flooded or falling into the lake. Talking to some locals, word is it used to be a phenomenal bass lake. Everytime i went out this past fall i always caught a decent amount but nothing to write home about and nothing bigger than 3-4 lbs. I only fished it a couple times so i don't know a ton about the lake. One encouraging thing about the lake is i was able catch fish off of several different locations, shallow wood, deeper wood, matted weeds, weedlines, points, docks, weed flats, etc. So that tells me that there are several viable options on the lake. Im not going to completely write it off yet, we'll have to see what this coming season brings. I don't know how fast the water will warm up on the lake though for early season fishing, it has pretty steep drops from shore and the water is clear, some of the bays will probably warm up pretty quickly though.

thanks guys for the info, I fished reno last fall 2 weekends in a row. the 1st of oct and did outstanding. I had 14 consecutive 13+ inch fish on the same # of casts. That weekend my wife and I caught over 100 fish nothing bigger than 3 #'s which went to the wife of course. The next weekend I had to go back and brought my bro in law from Texas and the wind was fierce and reno was unfishable so we ran to ida and maple and did less than average. I am just looking for a lake that is protected in case the wind is crazy again and tons of small bass keep her intertained and lets me fish, everything is released so the question is, Moon worth the drive from Metro keeping in mind I'm for #'s not quality?

Try Vermont or Irene north of Miltona. Both are small and if one isn't doing anything just run down the road and hit the other one smile.gif

If you are going to drive that far I would say to fish the chain of lakes up there. We fished Carlos with the kids, looking for numbers last summer. We were in the cabbage weeds with a leech and slip bobber. Even with the watercraft noise we caught lots of fish.

Moon is a scenic little lake at the bottom of a bowl. It is beautiful there but that is it's best quality.

Maybe go North of Moon and try Spitzer if it didn't freeze out.

I have fished moon and it isn't anything to brag about. When I was there I thought it was just loaded with bass because all the different type of structure. The lake didn't produce for me and probably wont go back until the population and size goes up.

I live a mile from Moon and fish it on average of twice a year. That's as good as I believe it to be. In the 70's the water was lower and little pressure made for some good fishing. There are fish there, I can't get em going though.

I actually really like Moon lake. There is not alot of pressure and you have all types of structure. When I lived in the area, I fished it quite often. Yea, the fish aren't huge, my best was around 4, if you are just out to fish and practice a technique, it is a good place to fish.

I would second the suggestions of vermont or irene. Both are small lakes located right next to Miltona and both have solid populations of bass. They are also quite different structurally. Irene is more of a bowl with a couple sunken islands, lots of weeds and bulrush. Max depth is around 40 feet. Vermont has a more complex shoreline with several bays and steep dropoffs. It is also deeper and has quite a bit of sunken timber. Vermont has a large population of hammerhandle pike too. The nice thing about these two lakes early in the year is if you are looking for bass in different stages of the spawn you'll be able to find them on these two lakes.

i cant ever recall fishing moon lake my uncle had a cabin on northeast corner of devils lake back in the 80s was there most every weekend in the summer fished devils stowes big chip lil chip miltona moses aaron those were the ones i was on mostly it was great if fish werent biting on one lake load up and go to the next onei think all my aunts and uncles and cousins would agree was a very enjoyable time for everyone. we would all seem to go to different lakes and try it and come back around noon and see where the best bite wasand who caught what i remember one time my cousin and i took my uncles boat out on devils and went staright across the lake trolling with twister tails and we caught our limit of northerns in les than 20 minutes and they actually had some meat on all them bones lol i definately want to get back up that way fishing again pleasant people in the brandon evansville millerville areas