Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gunflint

Used Boat / New Motor

13 posts in this topic

I'm taking a hard look at purchasing a new (to me) rig. I need something in a 16 footer, either an Alumacraft or a Lund. Because of regulations where I fish I'm limited to a 25 hp motor. What I would like is to find a used boat but put a new motor on it. Here's the rub. I think that I can get a much better deal on a boat through a private party but most guys won't separate their boat and motor. I could probably get a dealer to put a new motor on a used boat from their inventory but I'm not real sure about buying a used boat from a dealer. Besides I'd probably have to spend a day or two in the cities shopping for boats. Is there a point where It's worth buying a used boat and motor from a private party and then trade the used motor in on a new one?

I wouldn't trade a used motor in on a new one. Sell the used motor yourself and you'll get what its worth.

I know what your looking for, those rigs usually don't last long if they're on a lot and priced right.

I've seen a few for sale on the forum. I was looking for much the same as you last year(just the boat). I placed a wanted ad on the forum and had quite a few replies. That was done around this time of year, gave me plenty of time to get what I needed before I needed it.

Quote:

Is there a point where It's worth buying a used boat and motor from a private party and then trade the used motor in on a new one?

I'm with Frank on this... you'll come out a lot more ahead taking the motor off and selling in privately instead of trading it in.

marine_man

I would trade it for a good transmission for a GM diesel.... grin.gif

Sorry Gunflint, I couldn't resist..... wink.gif

Anyway I would follow suggestions above too.

Check at Aronson's Boat Works in Tower, a FM sponcer, they have a lot of trade-ins most of the time. 218-753-4190

Sell the motor yourself !

Cliff

Gunflint What are you looking for in a used 16'er??

A 95 or newer Lunker or Alaskan. Selling a used motor might be an issue for me as I live in the sticks and would have to drive quit a ways to sell it.

Then maybe it makes sense to take the hit on trade in if that'll offset what it will cost you to drive from the sticks to wherever you need to to sell it...

marine_man

Come on Mark, just splurge and buy a new one. You know you want too. wink.gif. If I knew you were in the market, I'd a set you up on a good deal with my 04 lunker w/25 4stroke yammy I traded in for my new lund. Sorry bout that. Junky....

Fishing Junky, you scare me. I just got off the phone with dealer in Superior. I'm still in the deciding phase but a new Lunker isn't as much as I thought.

Mark. I bought mine in late october of '04, and I paid 7800 plus tax for boat, motor and trialer. My new Lund w/Honda motor, you should be able to get for around 10,000 as of last year. Banks got lots of money Bud. grin.gif Ya only live once. Good luck, Junky......

Man that's a heavy trigger to pull. confused.gif

Well Mark, if your like me your not getting any younger and it will probably last you for a very long time. Buy it and enjoy it while ya still can. After all, ya can't take it with ya when ya go ya know? It's not like your gonna buy and then not use it. wink.gif Anyway, good luck and enjoy whatever you end up with. Take care, Junky...