Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EsaysFISHON

WAY South of the border

5 posts in this topic

Hey All--unbelievable--won an all inclusive 8 day trip through work! Though I couldn't find a specific forum on this site for it, taking a longshot here wondering if any "salty" FMers out there have ever hit the Mayan Riviera area of Mexico--specifically just 15k south of Playa Del Carmen or Puerto Aventuras--mainland coastal area from Cozumel Island. Will be deep fishing of course--but am curious what fish a guy could find wettin a spincast line, or lures to bring if attempting any fishing from shore or piers on an evening wade/walk. Been searchin lots online w/o much info found about shore presentations. Any direction tips forum links etc welcomed! Any referals to deep sea ventures also welcomed -E-

Fished on a chart off Cozumel a few years ago. The guide used cut squid on a plain hook with a huge weight dropped down about 60 ft near the bottom for trigger fish, and snapper. Then we trolled your typical top water squid looking artificial baits and caught mahi-mahi, barracuda, and yellow fin tuna.

Not sure about shore/pier fishing though. Never saw anyone attempting it.

Stayed at Akumal several years ago, and we brought some spinning gear. We were casting out in the bay, and these old guys came up... and told us to stop fishing... cause there was a $100,000 fine for fishing there!!!!! And no kidding, there was, as it was a protected reef. We quit of course.

They told us there were plenty of areas a bit farther south that was decent fishing and easy access for spinning gear. But we too scared at that point to try smile.gif But if we did it again, I would bring gear and some floating cranks in bright colors and find otu ahead of time some good areas where shore fishing is accessible - and legal wink.gif

We also went out in a small boat and did some bottom fishing and sailfish fishing. Bottom fishing we got a bunch, but no fish trolling. We found a captain on the beech, looked over the boat, and I think paid about $120 for 2 guys for about 5 hours, then $40 tip, and everybody was happy.

Good luck!

Hey EsaysFISHON,

Check out the www.locogringo.com forums. Specifically, the Akumal & Riviera Maya forums. I was in Akumal a month ago, and took a boat out of Akumal Bay. I paid $100 for 3 or 4 hours. We only got one Barracuda, but the fishing is suppose to heat up as we get into spring. There's no shore fishing in Akumal, because of the reef, but the snorkeling is pretty awesome. I saw people shore fishing in Playa del Carmen along the beach, but I don't think they were doin much.

A few suggestions:

As noted above, be careful about fishing from protected areas on shore. I believe there are places you can fish for tarpon, bonefish, etc. but I have never done it. When I asked a similar question to yours in another forum (see below) one guy offered to give me the name of a guide that fished the lagoon inside the hotel zone in Cancun.

I asked your question in the forum on www.floridasportsman.com a while ago, here is a link to the thread so you can see my replies.

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=551162

I did another search for threads on fishing in Cancun, here is my search results.

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerosearch

Watch out for unscruplous boats, and watch out for boats that want to keep sailfish. They have little food value unless smoked, and you won't want it. Good luck.