• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

April fishing in Four Mile Bay?

We are planning our annual sturgeon fishing trip the weekend of April 14th. Looking at all this snow outside....I have a nervous side of me thinking that it will still be frozen over.

Hows it look up there? Any of you locals that see the ice come off each year have any good guesses for me? Please help with any guesses. Thanks

The guys in the know must be busy. I'm not familiar with Four Mile Bay but Apr. 14 sounds early. Somebody with more knowledge will reply shortly I'm guessing.

I am busy cathing eyes from Baudette to Birchdale during ice out so haven't paid much attention to 4-mile but don't think you have anything to worry about.

It wouldn't suprise me to have a boat in within a week & feel that we will have a lot of river open within 2 weeks.

The river can open up at the rate of 2-3 miles per day and with ~40 mile from Birchdale to 4-mile, 2 or 3 weeks should prety much take care of it.

Keep an eye on FM, there should be lots of posts to show you whats happening.

Thanks RD. Sounds like I better dig the boat out!! Being a newbie up here I had no idea she would open up that much at a time.

She was still locked up good today, no indications of ice starting to move(at least with what I saw). With the current temps I would imagine that April 14th will be a very doable date on the bay.

Well I'll guess the bay will be open by then this year maybe, but if it's not you will for sure have miles of open water on the river you can fish and it's full of Sturgeon too. Maybe not as easy as dropping anchor in the bay hole with everyone else but seek and you shall find most excellent Sturgeon fishing upstream on the river itself.

fiskyknut

Thanks Fiskyknut.

We come up from central Minnesota and we don't have alot of fancy electronics. We basically have a aluminum boat and a motor...thats it.

So finding some sturg on the river might be kinda tricky...right?

You have some type of sonar dontcha? Flasher you use in the winter maybe? If not and the bay is locked up tight still when you're coming shoot me an E and I'll tell you of some spots up near the airport and near to clementson that are easy to find with some rather obvious 'landmarks' for you on the shore.

Thanks fiskyknut.

We "Aint Got Nutton!"

We were up the last two years in the bay and have done real well anchored out there. We've got many over 50 inches under our belt. We are just worried that with the weird weather we've been having that the bay will be frozen over. If it is I'll give ya a holler.

Thanks again.

Yepper I remember reading of your trips the past couple of years. Hard to predict what mother nature will bring us as far as Iceout is concerned. Years past I've seen it still locked up tight still in early May, or a major hodge podge of ice jams all piled up out there. Keep your fingers crossed and don't frett if you have to go to plan B....You may even do better on the river than you have on the bay!!!

fiskyknut

I don't know ice out history of 4 mile around April 14th, but I will tell you that last year my buddy and I couldn't take the bumper boat situation any longer (fisky knows why, LOL) and we parked up the river for fun. Turned out it was the best move we ever made. Nobody around until they heard our report and saw the fish. blush.gif

We did find them concentrated in the river. If you are not getting much for bites, move around until you do. One particular spot we GPS'd produced several 50-55" fish. If you weren't Johnny on the spot, you weren't getting the action. No reason at all either...no structure on the bottom...it was strange.

You should easily be able to find open water and sturge elsewhere on that date like other's have said.

The river then will be Plan B. Would like to find that trophy 60+ inch sturgeon this year. Hopefully she finds me first!

Thanks fellas! Keep me posted on the bay as the date gets closer.