Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishing_Rookie_123_

Red Lake Report 3/2 - 3/5

2 posts in this topic

We braved the weather and headed up on Friday morning. Friday night we went out and fished for a few hours from the West Winds access. I was having a lot of luck with all sizes of walleyes using very small teardrop jigs with the smallest, most active minnow possible hooked behind the dorsal. Others in the group were having similar luck using jigging spoons and minnow heads. Saturday we went out of Hillmans and again the spoons were producing walleyes at about the same rate as the small jigs. I did catch one really nice perch (10"). Finally, Saturday night at about 7:00 - 7:30 I managed to land a couple of roaming crappies (14.25", 14.75"). No crappies on the spoons, but my fishing partners would not give them up. Sunday we went out of Morts where they were reporting decent walleye action and a spotty crappie and northern bite. I worked it hard this day with my undersized lures and got outfished 2 to 1 on the walleyes compared to the spoon/minnow head fishers. These guys were giving me crap all day about using my undersized rig, but I wanted one more of those crappies that fight like a big walleye. Late Sunday evening I was able to coax one last crappie (13.75") up the hole after everyone else had packed up and headed for the bar. When they left they told me that they'd buy me a beer for each crappie I caught, which I collected immediately.

In all, our group managed 4 crappies, and my 3 were all on undersized vertical jigs (glow/blue tip, green glow moon eye, glow moon eye). I also tried small horizontal jigs with a lip hooked minnow. These worked well on the walleyes, but not for the crappies. All 4 crappies were caught after dark.

The best action was when I convinced our group to head out and pick a spot as far from the crowds as possible. The slowest action was when someone else in the group suggested that we fish in the immediate vacinity of a group of rentals.

Highlights of the trip:

1.Catching the biggest crappie of my life!

2.A walleye triple with my girlfriend.

3.Catching the biggest crappie of my life!

Thanks to all the regulars on this site who generously give up the bits and pieces that let a newbie like myself go up there and have success!

I can't wait to hit this lake again...summer AND winter.

FR123,

Nice write up. Being a fellow rookie I appreciate the info. I printed out a few threads before I went to URL and went to Gander walking up and down the isles grabbing all manner of fishing lures. I echo your sentiments that the gents writing on this forum have been very helpful. The Internet is a wonderful thing.