Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gunderson21

late season perch

9 posts in this topic

just wondering what type of areas most people try for late season perch? mud on top of flats, on the sides, in between flats in dead man areas? Ever try southern areas like vineland/rocky reef area? depths?

I tend to be off the edge of the mud flats targeting 30-32'. But travel out to those areas will be tough the next few days/weeks with all the snow and the promise of warm weather.

I know here in the metro area it's supposed to get into the 40's over the weekend. At one point does the shoreline ice start to deteriote on mille lacs? I wouldn't mind getting some last minute perch action.

yes, the shore is always the first to go. last year i caught my bigger fish in march in 23 feet one just short of 15, but moved into 13 feet and caught more fish but they were more of the 10" variety. best of luck, will be up on saturday to give it a shot.

i have always found the same-big fish deep, more fish in the keeper range shallow.

HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO DRAG THE CANOE UP THERE AND TRY CATCHING THOSE JUMBOS WHEN THEY WERE IN REALLY SHALLOW IN APRIL. WE USED TO NAIL THEM IN MARYLAND WHEN THE PERCH WOULD COME UP OUT OF THE CHESAPEAK BAY TO SPAWN IN THE RIVER BACKWATERS. ANYBODY EVER TRY FISHING THEM AFTER ICE OUT IN THE SHALLOWS?

Years ago, my friends and I would fish out cove and other open area's from shore for perch. In the eightys we would do very well. I have not tried it for years, so I do not know how productive it would be. That time of year I am down on mississippi catching walleyes or cats on my boat. That would be more fun than going for perch on a half frozen lake. At least for me it is. In another month I will start paying more attention to Mississippi forum nd then after opener, will come back to Mill Lacs forum. Still trying to plan a good perch run in a week or two to Mill Lacs. Any takers?

Keep me posted I may be in! grin.gif

Taking a canoe up there when the shoreline ice is gone doesn't sound like a bad idea at all. I've never even considered doing something like that before. I think that'd be neat to fish along the edge of the ice in a canoe and catch some jumbos and maybe the occasional crappie. I smell a trip in april brewing.