• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Catch and release only for muskies.

fish500

Sorry to say it, but a total C&R law is the only thing thats gonna work for Muskies, otherwise if its a 48" limit, unless its grossly undersized people are not gonna call tip on the offenders because they are not going to know what size it is, it also the easiest for the CO to enforce. On the assembly line thing, ya could just do what my dad does, walks over and kicks there bucket over into the water, and tells em to knock it off grin.gif Seriously though the only way thats gonna stop is if the anglers around the area put a stop to it (in a non violent way) the CO's in this area are so undermanned and busy its not even funny, it doesn't hurt to talk to your local CO and get his direct # either so if you see this type of thing going on you can call him , it'll save him time in the long run otherwise he's spinning his wheels checking every single shore spot!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• river rat316

• fish500

• Capt. Quicksteel

• T-water

A fellow I worked with about 15 years ago's biggest thing was ice fishing, his second biggest thing was his summer fish fry for his bud's at that company, he supplyed ALL the fish for 10 guy's and their family's. I reiterate, the folks that patronize the forums are by and large, or a great many of then, C&R fishermen that do have a clue. I'm not including lurker's because a lot of them are looking to find the places to fill their freezers, like the guy I worked with. The Mississippi River Muskie population can't take the pressure of the Freezer Fillers.

Have you ever heard of the Northern Highland Fisheries research Area? This is a place in Wisconsin where the fishing has been monitored since the 1940's. There were no limits on the number of fish an angler could keep, and the lakes recieved heavy pressure. Somehow the populations have maintained themselves, and size structure has remained very good.

I think there are several reasons for this.

First, fish populations are not a finite resource. They are a renewable resource. When I keep a limit of fish I am not depriving my grandchildren of them in the future. Thats like saying we better eat fewer hamburgers so future generations can enjoy them. We need to practice good conservation, but there are much more threatening issues than harvest with hook and line.

Fish populations can withstand high mortality at times. They produce lots of eggs and can rebound quickly.

When people don't have limits many take fewer fish home because they don't feel the need to achieve the goal the limit sets. Some people will take lots of fish, but most of those people aren't stopped by limits in the first place. Limits provide a way for them to be caught and punished, but the reality is that most never do get caught.

Overall, the fishing community is well educated on catch and release, and they do it voluntarily.

In response to the comment about stunting: if overfishing is the only thing that causes stunting in fish, then why are there lakes all around Brainerd that recieve absolutely no fishing pressure, and have populations of stunted sunfish? It's because they're small shallow lakes with few predators. Stunting is generally caused by overpopulation/poor nutrition. How many lakes near the cities have problems with blue green algae blooms? How does this affect nutrition for fish in those lakes?

That again goes against everything Ive read and experienced, go ahead and take everyhting you want, you obviously have all the answers and are leagues ahead of our states fisheries bioligists and DNR, apperently lakes can't get fished out and fishing pressure has nothing to do with fish populations, hell those people taking 200-400 fish over there limit apperently knew it all along, Im sorry Im not on your level and can't continue this conversation.

RR, You got to stop smokin' that shtuff! What do you mean, "the dumbest thing you evere heard" ?!!

I take it back

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

What a great post. I have had the best hour of reading and I guess there will never be a right answer. I am a 25 year old who a few years ago decided to pick up a hobby. I fished through college and had no clue what I was doing. Since moving here and reading these forums I have learned so much. I never told people I fished so I always released because I never knew how to clean fish untill I went to lake of the woods this winter and had fresh fresh walleye. yummmy! My point being, while up there we pulled a 30" walleye out of the water and faced a very tough decision. Catch or Release? We ended up releasing her because it was the right thing to do. I had a camcorder in hand and snapped a few quick pictures, but we made sure she went back to the water asap and rested well that night. As for the other people fishing the lake or river you are with, who knows. They make regulations and attempt to find ways to better our envirnment for a reason. If we didnt have them we would all still be driving 8mpg vehicles down the road, global warming would be worse and we wouldnt have any muskies to fish for. I now have a passion for the sport and take pride in what I put back in the water. Whether it is young or old, by putting it back that is one more I will have a chance to catch when larger. The point I have is, the desicions you make will determine how well you sleep that night. I have seen regulations work. At one time we could pull 100 perch from the lake of Green Bay in a single day per person. The population dropped so fast, they soon cut it down to 25ish. Over the last 10 years the population restored and the size increased and they are now able to harvest in large numbers again. They will always change, Just enjoy the opportunity you have fun doing it. If you are doing it for the record then good for you, I hope it broken by someone who really appreciates the regulations and waters this state has to offer.

I looked into the Northern Highland Fisheries Research Area. They have year round seasons but very strict bag limits (Escanaba Lake 1 walleye)as well as size restrictions on other lakes check the Wisconsin regs. I'm afraid you may be shooting yourself in the foot with that argument.

I think your heading into very murky territorry when we discuss finite vs renewable resources. Of course fish are renewable but trophy fish are few and far between. Yes there are lots of reasons for stunted fish, but we're talking about muskies it takes decades for these fish reach trophy size, most of them don't make it.

Let's not confuse not having laws because we don't like them with science and research and common sense leading the way. Let 'em swim.

I'm glad you took the time to check into it, and I was aware that these points would be made. It looks like it's very difficult to find info on this on the web right now. I am familiar with the walleye restriction you are reffering to, and it is a recent change that I understand recieved much opposition from local fishermen and guides who utilize these lakes. They have recently decided to use the lakes to research what the effects of managing for trophies are, and I think that it is a great idea (after all, it is a research area).

I read about the story of these lakes in an ESPN Outdoors article. It seems the Wisconsin DNR website used to have a lot more info about the area also. I am going to try to find some good sources for it. I have the article, but it is no longer available online. The article does state that until recently (for around 50 years) the lakes had no seasons, no size limits, and no bag limits. The largest of the five lakes is 293 acres. In one year 6400 people fished all five of the research lakes with 3683 of those people on Escanaba (the largest of the five). This info could probably be verified by emailing the Wisconsin DNR if anyone is ambitious enough.

The reason I brought it up is because it offers a completely different viewpoint of fisheries management. When I printed a copy of the article about it, and showed it to my fisheries instructor in college, he told me it went against just about everything that is taught about recreational fisheries. He, however, could not dispute what the article stated.

By the way, I agree, trophy fish are few and far between. That's what makes them trophies. It is a relative concept. For example, six pound largemouths are usually trophies in Minnesota, but probaly not so much in southern states. Individuals' ideas of what are or are not trophies will always vary. Should we pick the people who have the largest standards, and use they're ideas to force regulations that disrupt other people's ways of fishing? It's a difficult question in my opinion.

What has gone on at the lakes in Wisconsin is science. The data was all recorded, and the lakes have remained healthy. I would argue that the best, and most effective regulations we have are gear limitations. The fish have to open their mouths and bite to get legally harvested. I apoligize if I have gone too far off topic.

Great post and interesting points fish500. I hope no one jumps down your throat again. In a debate like this there is nothing more important than the scientific data. It trumps emotion and old wives tales every time. Until someone disproved it, sensible people thought the earth was flat! It also never hurts to have open dialogue about these important issues. If someone doesn't bring up the issues and no one challenges the staus quo, nothing ever improves or changes. It's when people can't reason at your level that they then have to resort to personal attacks! By the way, I also agree that equipment limitations make more sense than seasons and bag limits but if I make that point I'm going to have to leave the state because of death threats from manufacturers and others!!

I hope you don't think I'm jumping down anyones throat, but the research you've pointed to really doesn't argue your case, it counters it. Also I agree that trophies are different in different areas that's why the laws are made locally.

I think its unfair to characterize my arguements as a wives tale or strictly emotional. Although there are points to be made on both sides we all can consider them for their merit and make our own decisions based on what we see as important. If a fish is harvested it's gone.

T-water, I'm not sure how the information refutes my point, but please do explain. Also, I think I've gotten a little bit off the original topic, and I am talking more about over regulation in general now. It seems that it is relevant to the muskie discussion though.

T-water, That's an excellent point. One of the things that have harmed us in the past is a one size fits all mentality about regs. They can be a pain to keep track of but tailor made rules to protect specific waters are starting to pay off all over the place and are probably the way of the future.

Im going fishing tomorrow cool.gif you guys sit here and talk to eachother, Ill think about ya while Im hunting wintering smallies around RedWing grin.gif

500 In my reading about highland the lakes are actually highly restricted, not unrestricted, I guess that was my point. RR316 give us a report I've got spring break in 2 weeks looking to try some new river water!

T-water, my point is that there were no seasons, size limits or bag limits for about fifty years straight. The lakes recieved fishing pressure and remained healthy under these circumstances. They are research lakes open to the public. The researchers decided to gather information about the effects of other regulations and that is why they have been more strictly regulated since the late 90's.

I'm with RiverRat on this one. I'm outta here! I'll argue with you guys again next winter!

Alright I think we've all made our points, time to respool and throw big rocks out onto the ice!