Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JohnMickish

Ice fishing Vermilion

7 posts in this topic

We are planning our groups ice fishing trip for next year and instead of making the trek to LOW agian it was brought up to head to Vermilion.

My question is since the big V dosen't get much press around here does anyone ice fish it? Do they plow roads or are you on your own? Any resorts that cater to ice fishermen?

Thanks in advance.

Vermilion is a great icefishing lake.

Most people fish it for walleyes,perch and pike.

There is generally a road plowed out as far as Birch Island from the McKinley Park Landing by Soudan.

Most of the people that fish the Tower end of Vermilion with permanant houses usually are in that area.

There are also plenty of spots to fish with portables that never see a fisherman the entire winter.

I have one rental fishhouse and Skip Pratt also has a few houses that he rents out in that area.

There are quite a few area resorts that cater to winter fishermen and snowmobilers.

E-mail or call me if you want and I will give you a list.

Cliff

This sounds very promising. mnfishinguy, we need to seriously consider this. Are there eel pout in vermillion? Goin Fishin has fallen in love with the eel pout and is now touting it as the best fish he has ever had. uh oh!!!!

We caught a lot of pout on Vermilion in the deep water this winter! tongue.gif

They are quite good eating I have to admit! grin.gif

Most of them were in the 3# range, but I have caught some that were as large as 12#! That is a lot of UGLY! shocked.gif

Cliff

Yes, I think we will have to look into this a bit more. I'm all for shaving 3 hours off the trip.

Vermilion in the winter, 2 1/2 hours closer with plowed roads and lots of eel pout to boot!! Now that is sounding better by the minute! Only thing that changes is the walleye fishing closes in late February where we have more flexibility with the weekends to plan our trip for LOW.

if you guys could swing an open water trip....with some of us guides....we are worth it...you could already know where to go and then maybe have cliff to boot in the winter......some great resorts to stay at up here in the winter.......either way....may you always have a good trip