• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Any Predictions?

Any predictions on when the river will be fishable by boat? I'm hoping that it will be open for sliding a boat over the shore ice by the end of March. How much snow is on the ground/ice up there? Is the fishing good as soon as you can get a boat in, or does it take a few more days of migration?

Jason Erlandson

So I'm not the only one looking forward to open water, huh? I don't have any "good" guess as to when you'll be able to slide a boat in over shore ice, but my guess would be sometime around the 1st of April this year.

For the record I say the first boat goes in over shore ice on April 2nd, 2007. The first boat to be backed in will be on April 13th this year.

I bet I'm not even close, but it's still fun to guess. grin.gif

We've got a foot of snow & 2 or 3' of ice depending on where you look.

CatMan, I think I will have a bunch of fishing in before your predicted dates! Hope so anyway!

This is the log of Rainy River activity for '06 (thank Marilyn).

3/13 - Open water above Birchdale

3/17 - I pushed boat over ice at Birchdale

3/22 - Open ramp at Birchdale/Boats over ice at Frontier

3/27 - Boats over ice at Vidas

3/30 - Vidas ramp open

Some locals are saying late break-up because there is no flow. I think the low flow is just concentrating the warm process water from the lumber mills upstream so it will open anyway.

As far as fishing goes, if the ice is out the fish will be in. They were there on Jan. 11th last year when the river opened up for a few days. The sows do concentrate a bit later on but that can turn into a risky game of out-guessing when the Littlefork will blow-out.

I do think the thaw will be kind to us this year as the bog was bone dry going into the winter and can hold a lot of water. Of course a nice warm rain, like last year, can change things in a hurry.

It is going to be tough to not get excited this week as they are calling for upper 30's. Guess I better get the snow out of the 16 footer & mix up some fresh gas.

Yah I know I'm probably waaay off. I hope it's open way before then too, but I always like being on the pesamestic (sp?) side. This way I'm never let down!! grin.gif The only reason I was thinking later is because of the slow river flow as you mentioned in your post and we havent had much warm weather yet.

It just seems impossible to think we could be fishing out of boats in a couple weeks, but then again I seem to be suprised every year. Do you know how thick the ice is running on "average" from birchdale on down towards Clementson? It's weird looking at that list and seeing that there was an open ramp at Birchdale only 14 days from today.

I'm sure I'll be up again this year for the annual spring run. I'm busy getting the boat ready now, so it'll be ready when the time comes...when ever that is? I don't have a small boat, so I have to wait for an open ramp... frown.gif

Not sure how much ice that far up but drilled 30" here last night.

Made the run to I-Falls yesterday and saw a couple of wet spots in the Indus area about 12 miles up from B-dale. I know my heart rate jumped a bit. One spot was considerably larger on the return trip.

The weather at break-up last year had highs of 30 or so. Looks like we will be in the 30's starting today and into next week.

I think there is an outside chance I will be in the boat on the 17th again this year. It is amazing how much melting power the sun has even when the temp is at the freezing point.

I'd have to go with Doug on this. Last year was my 1st year watching the river open and I was amazed every time I checked how quickly it can push it's way open. Once we get this warm weather they expect this weekend we definately could see some action!

Take Care

Gail smile.gif

sounds great, keep taunting us, I love it...

I can't wait to set the first jig into a fatty...

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a possibility of renting a boat near Baudette in April sometime? Last year we rented a boat from Wheelers Point for opener, but it seemed they were the only boats available, and we were the first to rent them for the open water season.

Also, does anyone know how crazy it gets up there in April and early May?

Thanks for the help, look forward to getting on the river soon.

Wallegator,

We have a couple boat/motor rentals at the Dutchman. I won't send them out until there is open water at our dock. They tend to get beat up enough without mixing in trailoring and ice-jams! Look at the Resort Locator at the top of the page for contact info.

It can get crazy sometimes but I've never personally seen a confrontation. Hard to get too upset when your catching bunches of big fat eyes! Really, all I have ever seen is fishermen helping each other. Kinda cool to see strangers working together to make it happen.

Hope it works out for you!

All I've ever seen is guys getting mad at their own fishing partners for not taking the rear straps off as they back in, on not replacing the old batteries, or leaving the plug out, or not starting their motor with the muffs at home, or using the same old watered down gas and oil from last year. You know, the Rainy River "trial run."

Just try your stuff out at home, and keep organized at the access and most guys are pretty nice usually.

Hmmmmm let's see, I'll guess the 24th for skiddin boats at Birchdale and the 30th for the ramp being good to go?

Tick tock, tick tock....Won't be long now.

We need Sandy's old crystal ball then we'd know for sure!!!

fiskyknut

OK fiskeynut, this is what I think I can see in the crystal ball . . . .

Open water shouldn't be too far away. One great indication is the removal of fish houses from Birchdale. In past years after the houses were removed, 2 days later there were boats fishing in the same spot. The ice depth must have deteriorated fairly rapidly at Birchdale and the rest of the river looks slushy (from pictures posted at Clementson Resort's web site), and the 10 day outlook for warmer weather and some rain, I'd like to throw out my prediction.

I think small boats over very little shore ice by Friday the 23rd. It doesn't look like there is much for ramp-ice, so the ramp should be clear by the following weekend for larger boats.

According to the MN DNR there is only 2"-4" of snow in most of the "run-off" area for the Little Fork. There are some areas with up to 8" of snow, can't quite tell how much is in the Little Fork River Basin. Last time the Manitou Rapids level was recorded at such a low level pre-spawn time, the river didn't muddy up!

So far, so good for the prediction of spring fishing. So FISKEYNUT or as I call you friskeynut grin.gif, how's this prediction sound?

I predict a lot of good times will be had.... If I had to choose between this and deer opener I,d take this hands down. How about you guys? wink.gif

There she is....Hi Sandee, hope all is well with you and yours. We miss you round here ya know, especially this time of season!

I like your prediction.....It's a day earlier than mine and the sooner the better eh!

Think Spring and happy St Patty's! I'm out of here soon back out to some mainlake rocks. I have'nt been able to drag myself off of the rocks yet as the bite has been smokin hot, but I need to drag myself east here soon because them BIG girls have really been showing up as of late in the bay and gap.

Tick, tock, tick, tock! Won't be too long now.

Regards....Frisky Nut

Hey Sandee,

Thanks for chiming in! If the weather man could get his prediction right it would be easier for the rest of us to even guess.

Most of our guys for next W/E are bringing ice gear just in case.

Well Doug let's hope the weatherguys prediction is correct this time eh! This warm spell a coming should really get things happening on the river.

Make for nice bucket sitting on the ice too!

Tick, tock, tick, tock!!!

fiskyknut

I'm so excited that I think I may sit on a bucket at Birchdale and watch the ice melt on Saturday....

There's nothing like the end of March, beginning of April. You can go to Rainy and smoke pigs in a boat, and go home and spank late ice crappies and 'gills through the ice. Decisions decisions.... grin.gif

Whats up Matt B.? How ya been? Im hoping to make Rainy River as well but dont know if I should bring the Otter or the Lund. grin.gif

Northlander, bring the Otter and jump in the boat with me! I'll be up this Friday and again on Sunday more than likely. We've got room in the boat on Friday I believe, Sunday may be crowded... Afterward's we could put your Otter to use, the pannies are going nuts on most of the local lakes.

Shoot me an e-mail, it would be good to catch up!

Matt shoot me a e-mail. I have Friday/ Sat off and can get sunday if needed. I would love to get up there for a day or 2. I cant haul my boat I have trailer issues for a few more days til parts get here.

Ill bring the ice gear as well.