• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Made it out to sallie saturday. We managed to get out there without getting stuck although it was tough going. No crappies. Caught lots of perch, 1 nice northern, and some decent walleyes(go figure). this was my first trip to sallie in a few years. Even though no crappies the size of walleyes was impressive.

No slush. access in good shape. Just a lot of snow. You can get around with a 4x4. I was on the break between the point and the dnr. with all the snow we didnt move around at all. Is sallie still considered a good crappie lake? Im wondering if the northern slot has impacted the crappie population. Or is the lake another case of being overfished. If I could have got around better i would have made more of an effort to find fish.

the size structure for crappies shifted to bigger fish, but less quantity. I believe the biomass stayed the same. I don't think the shift was due to NOP or overharvesting. I don't know about you, but I'd rather catch a few slabs than a million little crappies. It's been hard to pinpoint where the crappies are located. traditional spots and areas typical for holding crappies have not produced results in recent years. the spring run for crappies have also been poor the past few years. I know the fish are in there, though, because they recently resurveyed the lake and the population was stable, and I've seen the slabs in there during the walleye harvest operation. There are not many of them in the trap nets, but the average size is around 15-16"...

btw, the spot you were in, I have always done better catching big walleyes there than crappies. In fact, I've never caught a crappie there before through the ice.

Its been some years since I icefished sallie so I wasnt really sure where to set up. It was a good walleye spot though. I got into a few of the slabs you mentioned a few years ago during the spawn. I found them in 4ft of water in the reeds. I only got a few but they were true slabs. Im pretty impressed by the size of fish in that lake. Every year I hear rumors of 8-10lb walleye being caught for milking. I dont know if theres any truth to it.I do know that a guy i work with got a 50inch muskie in summer of 05. Im not much of a walleye fisherman but i may have to try for some out there next winter. theres always decent northern action too. Is mellisa seeing the same type change also?

I ice fished lake sallie 2 winters ago and the crappie bite was awesome 13"to15". it was a hot spot until word got out talked to local guy at fish hatchery and that spring boats were lined up and taking out buckets were the river flows from DL. From that point on fishing for crappies in Sallie in the winter is about over. To bad that people have to be hogs when you find a good bite

Ran into crappies on Sallie about three years ago -- they were nice. Since then we have tried every March and have not done very well.

Hitman

scotta ,we will have to get out togather and get some slabs soon, dad is really chomping to get out and fish ., im in the phone book! give me a call.,p.s. say hi to the folks. oh and are you bear hunting this year? let me know. later cuz!

no mark i have not ., i missed you on monday i was going to ask if you have been out., heading up to the big pond end of march and im really looking for a fun time., talk with you later .,

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.